DjangoBooks.com

Czardas

krzyskrzys New
in Repertoire Posts: 136

I have been meeting up with some local Romani who mainly like to play what sound like czardas.

It's just hard for me to join in because they seem to have learned it all by ear and can't really explain even the song titles or chords, etc.

Does anyone have any resources to help with learning this style? Ideally geared towards guitar, if possible. Even just a list of popular songs.

There are a couple of tunes on the DC Music Angelo Debarre course I have, but they are just titled Traditional song 1, Traditional song 2, etc...

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited December 2022 Posts: 825

Songs like "Du duj duj" and "Fuli Chai" are Czardas. Tcha Limberger is playing a lot; there is a strong Hungarian tradition to play this music - or better: these dances, Czardas is a dance. Many fast Klezmer tunes, the Freylechs, are alike. With our Klezmer and Balkan band we used to play a tune simply called "Freylechs" I had found in some music book. The violinist knew it as "Czardas", he had learned it from Sinto guitaristTraubeli Weiss.

DoubleWhiskyAndyW

In the style of Tcha Limberber on DC Music School has several rhythm examples. Even getting good at a few you already mentioned will get you going in the right direction. Listening to a lot of it until it becomes a constant ear-worm. Once your ear has opened up, jump at that unique opportunity there, join in as much as you can and you'll be able to hang in there.

DoubleWhiskyJojo
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Czardas traditionally means a Hungarian folk dance, but even that term is vague in that it derives from the Hungarian word czarda which is a country inn, tavern or hotel where the locals would get together to drink and dance at the weekend.

There are many variations on basic themes but often the dances start slow and speed up with a rhythm pattern that becomes familiar with, as Buco says, repeated listening.

Many tunes are probably just handed down and regarded as 'traditional' although a Jewish violinist, Márk Rózsavölgyi is said to have composed over a hundred. probably the best known 'Czardas' is the one recorded by Angelo Debarre and Serge Camps among others and credited to the Italian one-hit-wonder Vittorio Monti. That is as good a place to start learning as any.

WillieBucoDoubleWhiskyBillDaCostaWilliams
  • BonesBones Moderator

Is the rhythm guitar just playing on 2 and 4 in the fast parts? thx

• krzyskrzys New
    edited December 2022 Posts: 136

On the DC Music course, Angelo says yes only if there is a bassist, otherwise the rhythm guitar still plays the bass.

In that recording above it sounds like the rhythm guitar is still hitting bass notes throughout.

wimBonesBuco
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 4,735

When we were doing a cover of Duj Duj, it took me quite a few days of practice to play a somewhat decent rhythm with the walking bass/moving chords. It took some intense practice. Then I recorded it and recorded a second rhythm track playing chords on 2 and 4 without the walking bass. When I finally found a local bass player to lay down the bass track, I realized his only choice is to double up my bass line. And he did and it sounds good but that probably would not have been his first choice.

The result is attached. Still looking for soloists. I'll record a chorus but would be nice to have a more traditional instrument in there; a clarinet, fiddle, accordion...if your buddies are interested @krzys feel free to forward this track. Or anyone else knows anyone else, please send the word out.

Note, below isn't the correct file, but can't see how I can delete it using the phone

This is the right file

DoubleWhisky
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ijovicijovic New
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2

This is how my band ,Swing Fever , played Monti Czardas for the Canada Day: Ukrainian , Irish, Dutch, Serbian and Czech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxBLaOh1Jnk

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsfeynman
  • ijovicijovic New

RE Duj, Duj, I know the version from Saban Bajramovic, undisputed  "King of Gypsy Music"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmNpFYy1Tjo&t=66s