DjangoBooks.com

Django on electric

CynekulCynekul New
edited February 2005 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 38
Does anyone know if Django used the same technique when he played electric as he did on his Selmer? If so does the gypsy picking work well on modern electric guitars?

~Paul

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Paul, I can answer your second question most assuredly yes. I use Gypsy picking on an archtop here at school. The only time I don't use it is when I play with the Rock-n-Roll band I am in (actually it works nice on Brand New Cadillac which we play very fast). Usually If I am playing Jazz I am using Gypsy picking. To your first question (this maybe corrected by someone like Michael or Ted) Yes Django usued the same technique on Electric. I know a lot of his electric recordings were made with his Selmer with a Stimer pick-up attached (killin Combo by the way)
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • CynekulCynekul New
    Good to talk to you again Caleb. I'm currently considering buying one of those miller pickups. I wish I could hear one first but ah well.

~Paul
    I heard they are pretty close to a stimer but I have never used one for shure. As soon as I get a new sel-mac I am going to make damn shure I order a stimer repro one the same day. Call it played out if want but I love the sound of that combo.
  • CynekulCynekul New
    Do you know of any recordings specifically where Django is using a Stimer pickup? Would love to get acquainted with that sound.

~Paul
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Pretty much all of Django's electric recordings were made with a Stimer. For the greatest gypsy jazz electric tone (Stimer with Fender amp and a ton of reverb) try to find recordings of Maurice Ferre :)
  • drollingdrolling New
    What an ear opener! I've always loved Django's late stuff - the slower tempo ballads where he uses distortion (perhaps unintentional?) and sustain to such great effect! Having seen pictures of him with electric archtops (from his trip to USA?) I'd always assumed that was what I was hearing. Clearly, I'm going to have to start saving up for some kind of clip-on sound hole pickup. Stimer's are pretty rare, no? What can you guys suggest that will get me into the ballpark? Thanks very much for the information. I'm going to put on "Peche a la Mouche" right now...
    Ted, Absolutely great post!!!!
  • drollingdrolling New
    What a load of information - and so fast! I've loved this music for so long, but my fingers were stuck in the pentatonic blues box and my ear really sucks. The recent availability of teaching material coupled with the sudden appearance of cheap Selmac guitars (I first saw them in a guitar buyer's guide quite a few years ago - took it around to all the local music shops where I was met with blank, uncomprehending stares) have rocketed me into a new dimension of musical growth.

I've already got quite a few old tube amps and some taller Stew-Mac bridges for my Gitanes, so that just leaves me in need of a proper pickup. I have jacked up the action on my old ES-125 and put on some heavy flatwounds, but the hum from the P-90 pickup still drives me crazy. Right now I'm listening to Django in Paris and Brussels (the old CD without all the extra material and alternate takes) and am wondering what he was using on that unbelievable version of "Troubland Bolero" - sustain just bordering on the edge of feedback that most of us electric players take years to learn how to attain and control.

I also wanted to thank you for directing us to those clips of Ninine Garcia. Living in Montreal, I have had the great pleasure of meeting Boulou & Elios, Angelo and Robin and seeing (but unfortunately, not being able to speak with) Stochelo at the jazz fest -but had never even heard of Ninine 'till today. As my right arm is pretty much destroyed (botched prosthetic shoulder implant), I will never be a fast player, and his relaxed style is a real inspiration to me. His judicious use of vibrato also absolutely KILLS!!

I do appreciate your taking the time to respond so thouroughly to my musings.

All the best,
    David Rolling
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Ted,

when you say the action should be 3.5mm at the 12 fret, do you mean the strings should be 3.5mm above the top of the fret or 3.5mm above the fingerboard.
    this reminds me of something I've meant to ask, does anyone know if the recordings of the Duke Ellington tour with Django are worth getting?

Michael Dregni's book mentions they recorded one of the Chicago shows, and I think you can buy it at Amazon and the like, but would this material also be on say, the Integrale reissues (if so, I'd guess the Integrale recording might have been spruced up)?

merci!