DjangoBooks.com

Mystery guitar duo

stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
edited August 2013 in History Posts: 386
One thing i've been meaning to ask the collectors out there
On the French made film about Dorado from about 1990(the one where his sister sings Deed i do) who are the duo near the beginning?????
A thin lead player playing a wierd looking gtr with ludicrous fret markers and an incredible gypsy rhythm player playing what looks like a classical guitar
They're playing a killer version of Place de Broukere in a club--theres the words 'Anges' in the background in neon
Anyone know???
Stu

Comments

• stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    No takers on this?
    I really need to know at least the name of the rhythm player who is an absolute monster!
    Stu
    Hi Stu,
    stubla wrote:
    No takers on this?
    I really need to know at least the name of the rhythm player who is an absolute monster!
    Stu

While I have the footage of Dorado playing "Deed I Do", I do not have the rest of the documentary so I can't help, sorry. That footage is fabulous, though, and that is one band (with Nouna on vocals) that I have always loved. If you have a way to forward a still picture of the guitarists in question, I might be able to help there.

Best,

Ted
    I can't get an image of them-- i'm a complete technophobe!
    i got the videotape from Sylvia--it was titled "Guitar Manouche"
    I agree about the Dorado clip--wow isn't Nouna a swinging singer!!!--like Ella or Sarah Vaughan or something......and great scat!! (a rarity)
    Dorado looks SO stressed out though
    ...and who the hell are James and Bondi'??
    Those guys playing "'i'll see you in my dreams" with Stimers in some dive with people dancing??
    Someone must know!!?
    Stu
    stubla wrote:
    Hi Stu,
    stubla wrote:
    No takers on this?
    Stu

While I have the footage of Dorado playing "Deed I Do", I do not have the rest of the documentary so I can't help, sorry. That footage is fabulous, though, and that is one band (with Nouna on vocals) that I have always loved. If you have a way to forward a still picture of the guitarists in question, I might be able to help there.

Best,

Ted
    stubla wrote:
    I can't get an image of them-- i'm a complete technophobe!
    i got the videotape from Sylvia--it was titled "Guitar Manouche"

OK.... I think I might have all of that, or at least part of it.
    stubla wrote:
    I agree about the Dorado clip--wow isn't Nouna a swinging singer!!!--like Ella or Sarah Vaughan or something......and great scat!! (a rarity)
    Dorado looks SO stressed out though

Agreed on Nouna. Lots of soul and if she could get rid of the accent and get out more she's be great! There used to be a fair amount of great German gypsies female singers.

Apparently Dorado got into a really bad car accident in the mid to late 1980's - he fell asleep at the wheel coming home from a gig late one night. It was so bad he was in a coma and he broke one or both of his arms terribly. He might have been in pain at that time, because I know it took him a long time to get back to 100%. He used practicing as type of physical therapy.
    stubla wrote:
    ...and who the hell are James and Bondi'?? Those guys playing "'i'll see you in my dreams" with Stimers in some dive with people dancing??
    Someone must know!!?

Indeed. James and Bombi are an example of two Gypsies who never recorded, but were active in the Gypsy cafés in and around Paris. This is the gypsie legacy! For every one guitarist you hear about, there are another 5 sitting in obscurity because they are happy there. There is actually a photo of James in one of Cruickshank's books titled "Django's Gypsies", the picture is captioned "Unknown Gypsy guitarists, Samois", so we know that they were around, and part of the scene during the '70's, '80's and early '90's. Whether or not they are still active, or even alive, is unknown. The location is unknown, although I've been told that it's in a north Paris neighborhood, and the place it most definitely a Gypsy café.

I will take a look at the video that I have tonight and see if I actually do have the scene you're referring to. Too much video....not nearly enough time.

Best,

Ted

Cheers Ted
    i just need to know--you understand i'm sure!
    That rhythm player is awesome
    James and Bombi are also great--tremendous feeling--what i call 'diggin' deep'!!!!
    Right in the 'marrow' of this Music we love, as it were.
    BTW-Ted if you find you ain't got that duo vid i'll send it to you
    PM me
    Stu
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hi Stu,

I believe that you are referring to the documentary 'Les Fous de Django', if so, it is Luna SCHMITT singing 'Deed I Do' with Dorado and Hono Winterstein, though he don't appear namely on the credits at the end of the documentary.

Regards

François RAVEZ
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Ooooooops, sorry, I had not read from the beginning :

You meant the guy who Tipp-Exed his fretboard.

The musician who play Mimosa and Place de Broukère are Mintho TRABER
    and Bambino REINHARDT (and the one who play Minor Swing are Ramuntcho KOBI and Frankie REINHARDT).

That's what is indicated in the credits at the end of the documentary.

François RAVEZ
    Ooooooops, sorry, I had not read from the beginning :

You meant the guy who Tipp-Exed his fretboard.

The musician who play Mimosa and Place de Broukère are Mintho TRABER
    and Bambino REINHARDT (and the one who play Minor Swing are Ramuntcho KOBI and Frankie REINHARDT).

That's what is indicated in the credits at the end of the documentary.

François RAVEZ

Hi Francois
    Thanks So much
    Sorry for delay in answering--i've been convalesing in Canterbury for a few days(ok now!)
    I think the rhythm player is Bambino--any recordings anyone???
    Hes a monster!!!
    Stu
  • AmpsmasherAmpsmasher Oakland, California✭✭✭ Christelle Caillot
    Where is this documentary available?
    thx
    Jim
  • ManumanoucheManumanouche FranceNew
    stubla wrote:
    One thing i've been meaning to ask the collectors out there
    On the French made film about Dorado from about 1990(the one where his sister sings Deed i do) who are the duo near the beginning?????
    A thin lead player playing a wierd looking gtr with ludicrous fret markers and an incredible gypsy rhythm player playing what looks like a classical guitar
    They're playing a killer version of Place de Broukere in a club--theres the words 'Anges' in the background in neon
    Anyone know???
    Stu

Hello everybody

I saw this documentary. It was past on M6 TV. We could see Dorado learn guitar to his son with the gypsy oral technic. And for the unknown duo i think it is Bombi Reinhardt. I had the great chance to play with him in a café near Paris (Beauvais). It is a guitar virtuose. We play two times with him it was very exciting. He was on the road with other gypsy and he saw us play in the coffee. It is an old man now and nobody around him play with him. It's pathetic. he says us he had learned guitar to Bireli Lagrene when he was child ! And when you see him play, you believe him. It was great moment of my life to play with this man.

PS: He plays us place de Broukere (and alone). It was terrible !
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    PS: He plays us place de Broukere (and alone). It was terrible !

just to translate... Terrible in french slang means "awesome"
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Hi!

You can find those two players "James and Bombi" playing in a strange bar named "Le Coq Hardi" :!: in the video documentary "Nuages" of Norbert Aboudarham and Pierre Befve (France 1991).

You can have a look hereunder :

A must!

There is something magic during the whole sequence where those guys are playing. The whole documentary -without any comments- captures the true nature of that music.
    Particularly in the sequence (begining at 20') music comes out so strongly but keeps the true delicacy of a dream. That's what I liked when years ago I met first that music. There is an artistry in that emotional way of playing (and filming) music I cannot find in the productions of the great artists of our years.

Best