DjangoBooks.com

Joseph Reinhardt's guitar

2»

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso

Three different people in France told me that Joseph's guitar sounded great in his hands, but that it was basically unplayable for everyone else. Later in life he seemed to prefer an ES175 type guitar. Current whereabouts unknown.

DoubleWhiskyBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesWillieRip
  • paulmcevoy75paulmcevoy75 Portland, MaineNew
    edited September 2023 Posts: 123

I had read also that he made that guitar. TBH I find that hard to believe. At least, I find it very unlikely that he made that guitar by himself. It has the appearance of a factory sort of cheapish Manouche adjacent guitar. The headstock looks like that also.

It just seems unlikely that he decides to build himself a guitar and that's the one he ends up with. Could he have worked in a local shop or something making it? The top is pretty wild, looks like either pine plywood or home depot pine shelving.

Some Selmer somewhere is missing its tailpiece?

NOT AN EXPERT AT ALL

Rip
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Not related to the guitar but I noticed that Joseph seems to have exceptionally long fingers, like Django. All of the scientific analyses confirm that the size of Djangos fingers were exceptional and gave him a distinct advantage in light of the damage to his pinky and ring fingers. Maybe Joseph's guitar would have been difficult to play for the average guitarist but if you had fingers as long as them then maybe that helped with the playability.

always learning