DjangoBooks.com

Joe Venuti

emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
edited February 2007 in Gypsy Jazz Italia Posts: 472
Giuseppe Venuti
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Giuseppe (Joe) Venuti (September 16, 1903 – August 14, 1978) was a U.S. jazz musician and violinist. Venuti claimed to have been born aboard a ship as his parents emigrated from Italy, though many believe he was simply born in Philadelphia. Considered the father of jazz violin, he pioneered the use of string instruments in jazz along with the guitarist Eddie Lang, a childhood friend of his. Through the 1920s and early 1930s, Venuti produced many recordings. He worked with Benny Goodman, the Dorsey Brothers, Bing Crosby, the Boswell Sisters and most of the other important white jazz and semi-jazz figures of the late 1920s and early 1930s. However, following Lang's early death in 1933, he began to slip off the radar. After a period of relative obscurity in the 1940s and 1950s, he was 'rediscovered' in the late 1960s and established a musical relationship with tenor saxophonist Zoot Sims, that was almost as fruitful as his previous collaboration with Lang. Venuti and Sims produced a number of very exciting recordings in 1974/75: an appropriate coda to the great violinist's career.
In the mid-1970s, Joe performed and recorded, again in the limelight: good examples of his latter-day recordings are the Chiaroscuro CD's Joe Venuti and Zoot Sims (CR(D) 142) and Joe & Zoot & More (CR(D)126). He died in Seattle, Washington.
Venuti was also a legendary practical joker.

650623_356x237.jpg

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Could you add that to our Gypsy Jazz Encyclopedia?

thanks!

'm
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    Could you add that to our Gypsy Jazz Encyclopedia?

thanks!

'm
    Hi Michael,
    isn't it already? I've simply copied it from Wikipedia site. Anyway, let me know where and how to do it.
    Just to the encyclopedia and do a search for Joe Venuti. Click"go" and it will ask you if you want to create your own article. Then you can paste all your info and save.

It'd be cool if you add some articles about the other Italian musicians you've been talking about.

Have fun!

'm
    Just to the encyclopedia and do a search for Joe Venuti. Click"go" and it will ask you if you want to create your own article. Then you can paste all your info and save.

It'd be cool if you add some articles about the other Italian musicians you've been talking about.

Have fun!

'm
    Done, but I have a couple of questions:
    How to edit the article title? I can change only the text inside, not the title.
    How to add a signature, or a link at the end of every post, like here?
    How to see the author of a post?
    emicad wrote:

Thanks!
    emicad wrote:
    How to edit the article title? I can change only the text inside, not the title.

I don't think you can edit the title. You just have to create a new article and copy all the info into that. Then delete the old article.

emicad wrote:

Dunno...in general the whole philosophy of a wiki shuns personal glorification. Authorship is for the most part anonymous...but I think there are ways to credit authors who make significant contributions. I'll look into it...
    emicad wrote:

Just click "history"
    emicad wrote:

Thanks!
    emicad wrote:

I don't think you can edit the title. You just have to create a new article and copy all the info into that. Then delete the old article.

emicad wrote:

Dunno...in general the whole philosophy of a wiki shuns personal glorification. Authorship is for the most part anonymous...but I think there are ways to credit authors who make significant contributions. I'll look into it...
    emicad wrote:

Just click "history"
    No problem for authorship or personal glorification, I don't care about this, the real problem is how to use this encyclopedia, there are too much things I can't understand, I'm clicking like a mad! :evil:
    Michael,
    I've copied all the posts I've wrote in my forum (about the artists), in the Gypsy Jazz encyclopedia.
    Awesome...thanks!

'm
    :D