DjangoBooks.com

chord soloing?

vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
edited July 2006 in Technique Posts: 133
so this is a true beginner question, but I haven't seemed to find much mention on this topic elsewhere. One thing that really blows me away with this style is some of the chord soloing (I'm doubtful that this is the right phrase) that a lot of players use... and still keep the melody. How does this harmony work? one example is a lick of the I'll see you in my dreams melody in the paul mehling video. I worked out thats something like:

[code]
|----3---------3----5---3----4----5----8----10----12----10----11----10----8
|----3----5--------------2---------3----6-----9-----------10----10-----------7
|----3-------------------3---------5-----5----9------------10----11----------8
|----3------------------------------------7----9------------10----10----------7
|----x----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|----x----------------------------------------------------------------------------

----6----------------
---------5----8----6
---------6---------7
---------5----------
---------------------
--------------------
--------------------

[/code]

These chords really carry the melody and I was wondering if there was a good explanation for why. Also, I have some questions about angelo debarres chord soloing, but I'll ask those later in this thread...

happy playing-
V
I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.

Comments