DjangoBooks.com

9th or 10th fret marker?

Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
Where do you prefer your fret marker?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited August 2006 Posts: 6,153
    I like the 10th Fret markers...mostly because the the dot falls on the note D on the bass string. Just seems to make a little more sense to me. It used to drive me crazy until I actually owned a guitar with the 10th Fret marker. Now I'm totally into it...and switching back to guitars with a 9th Fret marker doesn't seem to bother me.
  • SONICSONIC New
    I like the 10th Fret markers...mostly because the the dot falls on the note C on the bass string.

You mean on the note D on the bass string, I presume.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yes...D
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I prefer the 9th. After 38 years of playing, I'm used to it.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    9th.... I went back and forth on this and finally got tired of playing wrong chords up on the neck when switching back and forth ... so I went with 9th because all my other guitars have 9th
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    10th. It took me about a day to get used to it, and a now I have a hard time playing other guitars. it also serves as a good excuse for people to not play their usually crappy sounding guitars (especially for gypsy jazz) :D

and why would there be a dot on C# for the bass? I think D is more common - I love the dm6 and dm7 voicings that high for stuff.

V
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
  • maxmax SwedenNew
    10th, for gypsyjazz.

I´ve started to separate "gypsyguitar" from "ordinary" guitar.
    To me gypsy guitar is like another instrument in a sense, and having
    a dot on a different fret acctually helps me to separate "gypsyguitar"
    from "ordinaryguitar".
    Everything is different for me with a djangoguitar; heavier pick, grip of the pick, voicings, aesthetics of soloing, the rhytm, strings etc.. it´s like learning a difficult new and wery powerful languish in a way.

When back on electric with high gain marshallstack everything is about normal again, and my mind wants the dot on the 9th fret,
    for djangomusic the 10th fret is "norm" for me now and I can´t play djangotunes with the dot one fret lower.
    Probably cause I learn the songs like a parrot and don´t know to much
    about chords and stuff..

Also, I don´t know why there are dots ON the fingerboard? anybody needs them? as long as they are on the side of the neck I´m plenty fine..
  • Bill McNeillBill McNeill Seattle, Washington, USANew
    I bought my first Gitane earlier this year. It really threw me at first, but after I few months of playing I'm getting used to it. It helps that I rarely switch back to my other guitars these days, so I don't have to be dot-bilingual. In a way I think the confusion can be helpful though, because it encourages you not to rely on looking at the neck.