DjangoBooks.com

Western Swing Time!

AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
edited August 2006 in Welcome Posts: 522

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Right here:

• Blue DragBlue Drag S.F. Bay Area✭✭✭✭
    Clint played for several years with Merle Haggard in the 80s. Haggard always has great guitar players, and Merle is very good himself. Merle and Willie Nelson did an Austin City Limits program " A Tribute to Django" where they played Django songs, both are big Django fans, and both are quite tasty guitar players, Merle is the only "country" artist ever to be featured on the cover of "Downbeat" magazine. Clint Strong is featured in the recently released Merle Haggard Austin City Limits DVD (taped in "86). As a boy/young man he studied with my guitar teacher, Jackie King, who played in Willies band for several years in addition to playing with Chet Baker and Ray Charles. Jackie said that Clint was a very dedicated and talented guy. I had just asked him out of the blue if he ever heard of Clint, because I loved Clint's style when I've seen him with "The Hag". I was quite surprised when Jackie said that that Clint had been his student (in San Antonio). Gotta love that Western Swing. One theory, to which I subscribe, is that western swing is partially due to the southern guitar pickers during WW II stationed in France who were exposed to and fell under Django's influence.
  • Colin PerryColin Perry Montreal, QCNew
    So that's the missing link between Gypsy Jazz and Western Swing: Ovations!
  • plankityplankity CTNew
    So that's the missing link between Gypsy Jazz and Western Swing: Ovations!

funny you should say that...

a friend of mine who works at Ovation built this one for Freddy Powers (singer the video linked above)

Norman CT/USA