DjangoBooks.com

Best Musette CDs

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited September 2006 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 1,665
Hi everyone -

Just finished reading Dregni's excellent Django bio, which has me interested in musette. What are some good CDs to get started with? Michael has so many to offer that I don't know where to start. I've been unable to find any recommendations in the forum (maybe they're there and I was not able to turn them up).

Thanks ...
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I think one of the best ones to get is the Paris Musette comp. I think it is put out by Freemaux, but I could be wrong. If you are looking to play waltzes on Guitar the Romane cd Impair & Valse is pretty good. It has some standard Gypsy Jazz valses reportoire and you can print out the score for all the tunes except Montagne Saint Genvieve.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi,

CalebFSU is right - the 3-CD-series of "Paris Musette" is a great overview concerning the repertoire, but it contains only "contemporary" recordings.

http://www.fremeaux.com/catalogue.htm

If you want to listen to the "old masters" i recommend the 2 double-CDs

Accordeon Musette/Swing/Paris 1913-1941 (DH002 CD
    Accordeon Musette/Swing/Paris 1925-1942 (F&A005 CD)

Both of them are published by Fremeaux et Associes, too.

Hope that helps a little bit

Best,
    Barengero
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Thanks, Caleb and Barengero. That is indeed helpful. Michael stocks all of those, so I will be putting in an order for a few selections to get started.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Klaatu, barada niktu! :wink:
  • brandoneonbrandoneon Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, France✭✭✭
    These are all great suggestions. There's also a compilation put out by Iris Music, I think it's called Swing Accordeon.

A great album that straddles the link between gypsy music and valses musette is Jo Privat's Manouche Party. With Matelo Ferret on guitar!
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    my personal favorite is the Musette Guitars CD. if you want it, just contact "Scot" on this forum.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    We've got the Musette Guitars CDs right here....and many more musette CD in the accordion section.

Accordion
    CDs