DjangoBooks.com

Plane of the pick

drspringdrspring New
edited September 2006 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 4
Does a down stroke begin above the plane of the strings? Page 17 I think it says "two strings above the string." Do you return to this "above the string" on all strokes but sweep strokes?

I have taught a kind of rest stroke for many years (before electric light) where I tell students to relax the pick qand push through the strings of an inside chord, and then tighten up against a string not in the chord to prevent sounding it. Is this the opposite of Michael Horowitz' Play-Relax?

Never knew I could enjoy being confused.
Dr. Spring
Play it wrong once, its a mistake, but play it wrong TWICE....

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    drspring wrote:
    Does a down stroke begin above the plane of the strings? Page 17 I think it says "two strings above the string."

Yes...you play into the guitar.

Do you return to this "above the string" on all strokes but sweep strokes?

Yes....when you play at faster tempos the motion can get a bit smaller.
    I have taught a kind of rest stroke for many years (before electric light) where I tell students to relax the pick qand push through the strings of an inside chord, and then tighten up against a string not in the chord to prevent sounding it. Is this the opposite of Michael Horowitz' Play-Relax?

Not sure what you mean...

Good luck!

-Michael
  • drspringdrspring New
    You asked about my rest stroke (and I can't figure out how to use the quote feature)

Lets play a D7 in third position (D,F#, C,D). We don't want the 9, so we play from the fifth string through the second string, and then create tension in the pick agaqinst the high e so the pick stops against it
    Dr. Spring
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    drspring wrote:
    You asked about my rest stroke (and I can't figure out how to use the quote feature)

Just highlight what you want to quote and hit the quote button.
    Lets play a D7 in third position (D,F#, C,D). We don't want the 9, so we play from the fifth string through the second string, and then create tension in the pick agaqinst the high e so the pick stops against it

You should stop on every string, sometimes very shortly. But you're always stopping for a nano second. Yes, then you end by resting on the high E string. But it shouldn't be tense.

'm
  • drspringdrspring New
    Thanks- I have actually read what you wrote, and it is NOT unclear-but I have to find a whole new head, let alone a pair of hands, to comprehend.
    Dr. Spring