DjangoBooks.com

Anyone using a Stimer?

Just coming off an electric jag, and I've flung myself back into gypsy picking!

All that acoustic woodshedding really helped consolidate my electric style (bass player can't believe the size of the picks I crossed back over with!) but it's time to tackle 'La Gitane' again - but this time I'm going after the sublime tones Django was getting in the late '40s early '50s.

And this way, I can still use my old black & brownface Fender amps.

So I'm thinking about an ST-48 for my oval hole.

What are the best manouche style strings for a magnetic p-up like the Stimer? Or would I be better off w/regular nickel plated electric strings?

Will I need an equalizer or a booster of some kind?

Any feedback (except the high-pitched squealing kind) would be much appreciated!

thanks,
david

Comments

• nwilkinsnwilkins New
    if your action is high enough it shouldn't be a problem to use a Stimer with Argentines. If you find the two plain strings too hot try moving the pickup back toward the bridge a little bit to put more space between strings and pickup.

you may find you need a lighter pick, although I am using a Stimer almost exclusively on gigs and have no problems with a 3.5mm Wegen.

if you have a blackface twin reverb I would go with that :)
  • drollingdrolling New
    '63 Vibroverb, actually. It'll be plenty loud enough!

I've got a few sets of Gallis left - I know they're not entirely metal, but it can't hurt to try 'em..

Thanks very much!!
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
  • drollingdrolling New
    hmmm.. I'm really impressed w/the Newtone "National" strings I got for my new Delphi Vintage Steel..

I'll definitely be ordering some when I get thru' the last batch of Gallis & Argies you sent me quite a while back.

Thanks Michael.