DjangoBooks.com

Grille notation question

skiski Boston, USANew
edited September 2006 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 86
Hello,

I've been looking at some charts on line to build up a repertoire and I'm wondering how to interpret when one measure contains two chords separated by a diagonal "/". For example, "F/A7". Does it mean you play a F for half the measure and an A7 for half the measure? Or does it mean play a F note with an A7 chord? Or something else? Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question. :? Thanks ~ ski

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2006 Posts: 1,752
    No sweat-it's the first question people ask about these...we'll use this as an example:
    troublant.gif
    Look at the very bottom (those two alternate bars). It's telling you to play 2 beats of B7, 2 beats of C#m, 2 beats of D diminished, and 2 beats of B7 with a D# bass. In other words, when the line goes all the way across the box, it's dividing the beat; if it's just a slash, it's a bass note. You may have heard people talking about "slash chords"-that's them.

Anticipating another question, when a bar is broken up into 4 beats (as in Douce Ambiance below), you read it this way: West, North, South, East.

douceambiance.gif

Hope that helps,
    Jack.
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    Hey, sorry if I'm off, but I think, referring to the Troublant Bolero example, Jack means 2 beats of B7 followed by two more beats C#m etc... (as opposed to two bars).
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    Ski I just noticed your profile says you're in Boston. A friend of mine is trying to organize a gypsy jam session at Great Scott's in Allston on Sunday the 1st of oct. I figure it's be going most of the afternoon. If you're interested pm me. Jack, if you're not going to DFNW and have an excuse to make it eastwards you, Matthew and anyone else should stop by.
    Soref wrote:
    Hey, sorry if I'm off, but I think, referring to the Troublant Bolero example, Jack means 2 beats of B7 followed by two more beats C#m etc... (as opposed to two bars).

Absolutely...I've gone back and edited the other post. Thanks, Jack! I might make it that Sunday, too. A friend is having surgery that weekend; depending on how things go you might see me...any idea when things are going to start?

Best,
    Jack.
  • skiski Boston, USANew
    Jack - Thanks, that's perfect! And yes, you correctly anticipated the follow-up question! :D Very helpful stuff. I also checked out your youtube video from the Mocha Maya. Are you the rhythm or lead guitarist? Nice work!

Hi Soref - I used to live around the corner from that place but I'm out in the 'burbs now. I still work in Boston. I'd be all over it if I wasn't going to be out of town. I'll shoot you a message and maybe you can let me know of other similar events in the future.

Best ~ ski
    I'm the rhythm player. The guy that filmed that apparently has 3 or 4 hours of footage that I haven't seen; hopefully we'll get some other stuff out there.

Best,
    Jack.