DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy warm up

BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
edited July 2007 in Technique Posts: 1,379
I`m wondering how do gypsies warm up.
There must be some things they do before launching into a virtuosic piece, Aren`t there?
What about after playing, Do they stretch or something? I seen them shake out their hands after a fast piece but...
Does anyone know?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I can't say I've seen any systematic Gypsy approach to warming up. What works for me is to play through a few of the Unaccompanied Django pieces....but anything slow will work. Just start slow and build up speed.

'm
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Ok I`ll try that. Thanks.
    What blows my mind is that I`ve read about Jimmy Rosenberg launching into "Improvisation No. 1" just after picking up a guitar and playing it, needless to say, flawlessly.
    How is it that he doesn`t hurt himself, let alone play through the piece?
    He must be from another planet.
  • DiggerDigger New
    What blows my mind is that I`ve read about Jimmy Rosenberg launching into "Improvisation No. 1" just after picking up a guitar and playing it, needless to say, flawlessly.

That, apparently, was immediately after his release from prison, therefore not only without warming up but also without having picked up a guitar for several months.

Stories like that really make me wonder why I bother. :D
  • JeremyJeremy New
    I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd post the clip of Jimmy playing improvisation 1 after being released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX6JYdbDgfg

It's at the begining.