DjangoBooks.com

Andreas Backstage Video

AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
edited October 2006 in Gypsy Fire Posts: 522
A little ímprovised warm up etude filmed backstage at the DjangoFest Northwest in Langley, WA, USA 2006.

Enjoy!
Andreas

Comments

• MinorBluesMinorBlues New York✭✭✭
    jeez man, you're all over that fretboard! Amazing...just curious, what kind of pick were you using, and was that alternate picking?
  • AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    The pick is a 1,18 mm plastic Jim Dunlop. As usual I do my own combination of gypsy picking and alternate. In this video, there are a lot of bop phrases so most of it is alternate. For the gypsy phrases, like the diminished runs i use strictly gypsy picking with reststrokes.
    Regards
    Andreas
  • MinorBluesMinorBlues New York✭✭✭
    Oh that's a jazz II pick right? I guess you don't need a thick wegen pick afterall.
    No, it's not a jazz II..these picks are a bit bigger (not thicker).
    Bireli, Ritary, Wawau, Matcho etc....all of these guys uses thin plastic picks too.
    Best Regards
    Andreas
  • YannYann Luxembourg (Old Europe)New
    Andreas,

Holy s... cow! :shock:

This is warm-up ? :? I'd rather call it fireworks. Technically amazing! A little more melody inside would not hurt though... Well, this is warm-up after all. :)

I have a few questions for you. Is there anything technically speaking you still find difficult to do, or worse, is there anything you can't play yet ? What's your next target on the fretboard ?

Yann
    My own Manouche guitar page in the works: http://www.serendipity-band.com/misc/ma ... toc-en.htm
    hehe..yeah it was just an improvised warm-up and mostly fast runs :D

At the moment, I'm working a lot to develop my own style. That style is a mix of bop, gypsy and modern jazz. Three years ago I wanted to play pure gypsy jazz (because I had played so much bop earlier on) but I have understood that this mix of jazz influences is what makes me different from other players..so I'm working on that.

I've recorded a new CD in Los Angeles that will be out in the US sometime next year. It's a mix of jazz and fusion with some great orchestral arrangements by Koono (Kuno Schmid). On the cd, there are also a few beutiful ballads, where I don't do any of the fast stuff :wink: kind of a new experience for me too..
    The fast stuff has always been easy for me to do, I kind of developed my technique naturally, without all these chops exercises..mostly playing along with good cd's instead.

Of course there are always new techniqes to learn to expand the limits of whats possible to do with a guitar. So that's what's great with music..there are always new things to learn, no matter what level you're playing on.

Best Regards
    Andreas
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Andreas,

It was great to meet you at DFNW and watch you play. You are one of the world's best! I will have to listen to more George Benson. If you think he is the world's greatest jazz guitar player, I need to hear more.

Next time bring your archtop (or borrow mine :) ). Let's hear your true sound! You are an inspiration to us all! I can still hear the way you weaved "Polka Dots and Moonbeams" into "Django's Castle". Very Tasteful.

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Andreas - you're an amazing player, I really enjoy your creativity. I also appreciate you being "open" with your ideas and sharing your thoughts on this forum. Hearing you at DFNW that was great, it was fun to see so much enjoyment and excitement in your playing! :D .... the audience didn't know what reference you were going to play next!

If I remember correctly, your Polka Dots and Moonbeams reference was played as your intro to Norwegian Danse? Which, for me, was one of the highlights of your 2nd set.

I'm currently enjoying your Solo CD which I bought up at DFNW...wish it was longer!! :D:D

Cheers and thanks for making great music!

Phil
    Hi Marc and Phil!
    It was very nice to meet both of you in Langley at DFNW. Thanks for your kind words, I hope to see you soon. As it looks now I'll be in LA during Jan-March next year to start with.
    All the best
    Andreas