DjangoBooks.com

Holding the plectrum

nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
edited July 2007 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 85
I have been playing guitar for 18 years, mostly blues,rock and fingerpicking. I have been holding the plectrum with the underside of my index finger, basically put your thumb and index finger together as if you are picking something up. It seems, in the book, that you use the underside of your thumb and the side of your index finger. Is this correct? and do you have to hold the plectrum like this? because I sound like I've picked the guitar up for the first time ever- rubbish in simple terms. I've had the book for about 1 hour and want to do everything correctly so that I,m playing propely and not slipping into bad habits.
Don't stare at the stinking finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    nutloaf wrote:
    I have been holding the plectrum with the underside of my index finger, basically put your thumb and index finger together as if you are picking something up.

That causes a lot of tension...avoid doing that.
    It seems, in the book, that you use the underside of your thumb and the side of your index finger. Is this correct?

yes...
    and do you have to hold the plectrum like this?

You can do whatever you like....but nearly every Gypsy player avoids doing this because it stiffens up your muscles and causes a lot of tension. Sometimes leads to injury...
    because I sound like I've picked the guitar up for the first time ever- rubbish in simple terms.

It's going to take at least six months before it feels comfortable and sounds good. Keep at it...it'll be worth it!

-Michael
  • nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
    im now holding the plectrum using the side of my index finger, is it o.k if the tip of my index finger is pointing towards the strings? in your photo it looks like the tip of your finger points towards the bridge. my finger nail now grazes the strings . thanks for your prompt reply i cant believe im talking to the author this rocks i mean jazz's.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    nutloaf wrote:
    im now holding the plectrum using the side of my index finger, is it o.k if the tip of my index finger is pointing towards the strings?

That sounds a little strange to me...i'd have to see it. But it doesn't sound like it would be very practical.
    in your photo it looks like the tip of your finger points towards the bridge. my finger nail now grazes the strings .

Good...your fingers should graze the strings.

thanks for your prompt reply i cant believe im talking to the author this rocks i mean jazz's.

Thanks for your support!

'm
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Loaf,

Here are some pictures from other threads showing pretty good pick position:

t_button_907.jpg

t_p5220003_177.jpg

Hope that helps,
    Jack.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Those pics are good,
    If you`re using Argentines, look for those black marks on the index top and nail, they`ll tell you if you are doing it right.
  • nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
    thanks for that michael and thanks to jack for the photos. I do find it a bit uncomfortable and having difficulty keeping my index finger from curling outwards towards the strings. I think I might be trying to curl my index finger in to much perhaps?
  • guitarnowskiguitarnowski Peru, ILNew Gitane, etc., etc.,
    yowza...so, if you're using a Wegen, does the first knuckle lie in the contour on the underside...or the side of the finger by the nail? (which is where my habits have me holding it)

From the pic it looks like the thumb is pressing essentially against the side of the knuckle itself.

And, judging from the wear on your finger and nail, it doesn't look like much of the tip projects past the side of your finger either...correct?

I like the feel of the Wegen, just not sure I'm holding it right to get the best action/speed/accuracy.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    yowza...so, if you're using a Wegen, does the first knuckle lie in the contour on the underside...or the side of the finger by the nail? (which is where my habits have me holding it) From the pic it looks like the thumb is pressing essentially against the side of the knuckle itself.

For me it the pick is pretty much right on the knuckle of the index finger. I'm a little confused about what you're calling the 'contour'...if you mean the dip or depression on one side of the pick, that's where the thumb should be. (Those pics aren't of me, by the way.)
    And, judging from the wear on your finger and nail, it doesn't look like much of the tip projects past the side of your finger either...correct?

That sounds right...you'll often see a lot of that blackening on fingers, especially with newer strings.

Best,
    Jack.
  • guitarnowskiguitarnowski Peru, ILNew Gitane, etc., etc.,
    Yes, right: I realized after re-reading that there's no depression on the back side anyway, just more grooves. But that was the spot I meant. And, you did answer my questions, in spite of myself. thanks!
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I hold the pick slightly loose, as I think I originally learned from someone, and the pick wobbles a bit between my first and thumb and as it wobbles it stays in its place and will wobble back into position when the pick starts to slip.

I had a guitar teacher tell me that my soloing wouldn't sound as sloppy if I held the pick tight and made the smallest picking strokes that I could.

would you say that is good advice, in terms of gypsy jazz, or is the person that gave me that advice "high"?