DjangoBooks.com

Pickups and impedance

djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
I want a volume pedal for my rig and wanted to be sure - should I be going for a high impedance (250k) pedal? I'm using a Schatten (without the built-in preamp) into a baggs pre and into my Compact 60. Assuming I'd use the pedal before the preamp, I think I want the high impedance model (Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k, not the 25k model).

This brings me to my next question... is the bigtone pickup also high-impedance? I ask because my next guitar will have a bigtone and go right into the amp, bypassing the preamp and I'd like to be forward thinking about this purchase. My bandmate's Park guitar with bigtone is loud enough that it needs no pre, but it is a passive pickup, right?

Thanks!

Comments

• djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    I have a follow-up question too... can the volume pedal be used in the effects loop? Any pros/cons to doing it this way?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The Schertler pedal plugs into the "insert" jack...

Volume Pedal

Volume
    Pedal

This is nice becasue:

A) It doesn't require a battery

B) Doesn't add nosie

C) You can control all the channels of your amp at once

Work great for me!

'm
    Michael, that pedal looks really cool and it's certainly a great feature for a Schertler amp, but it wouldn't work for my Compact 60, right?

Looking at that pedal, it looks like it uses a stereo cable, so I'm guessing it works something like an effects send/return. Could the effects loop for the Compact 60 be used like that?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    It's not a stereo cable....just one lead. I'm not sure if it will work with the Compact 60. I have a friend who has one...I'll try it tomorrow.
    Hi Michael, what I mean is it looks like the cable itself is stereo, based on the extra ring on the tip. My guess is it works something like an effects loop, except that it uses one channel on the cable for send and the other for return. Each signal being mono, but over a stereo cable.

Regardless, its a really cool design, though I doubt the Compact 60 has an appropriate jack for it.