DjangoBooks.com

Schatten or Big Tone?

melodymakermelodymaker Hornby Island, BC CanadaNew
Ive got a gitane dg300 and Im almost an owner of a compact 60. Im looking for a pickup.... any advice? I have a friend who is a macafferri luthier here and I believe he puts big tones in most of his guitars.... but the schatten seems easier and ....better tone???

also, Im going to get him to build me a bridge... any advice here?
~ django lives ~

Comments

• djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    I have a Schatten in my DG-250M and my bandmate has one in his Gitane. He also has two Park guitars with Big Tones.

The answer to your question depends on the kind of playing you do. If you're someone who plays mostly rhythm, I'd say go with the Schatten. I think it sounds very natural and light and perfect for a rhythm player. But I think it's a tad thin for leads. Just a tad.

The big tone sounds, er, big. Real big. It's a great tone, especially for fat, present leads, but I think it's just a little crunchy on rhythm. As someone who plays rhythm and lead, I'm leaning towards the big tone - at least I'm getting it in my Park guitar. I'd also say that the big tone is slightly more resistant to feedback, though both do a very good job.

Hope that helps - I've long wondered how a big tone would sound in a Gitane!
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    If you're getting an AER I'd definitely look at the Big Tone-they seem made for each other...

Best,
    Jack.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Go with the big tone. I'll build you a sweet one.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • melodymakermelodymaker Hornby Island, BC CanadaNew
    Yeah, the schatten seems a little less quacky... from the samples on their site.. but everyone seems to lean toward the bigtone.. hmmm. I like the ease of the schatten and is transferability between guitars should i get a hand built. thanks for the feedback.
    ~ django lives ~
  • MontereyJacquesMontereyJacques ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011 Posts: 81
  • melodymakermelodymaker Hornby Island, BC CanadaNew
    well Im gonna get a chance to try the schatten soon. My good friend brought on ein to try at his shop. I like its design, and its simplicity... and it seems like a more beautiful tone... we'll see.

I was at the fest on whidbey as well. which group were you playing with? rythym or melody? ..just for reference tone wise.
    ~ django lives ~