DjangoBooks.com

Saga Gitane Deluxe Tuners

Comments

• HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Great, Michael!

I'm wondering if you'll be able to get other Saga Gitane parts, like replacement bridges? This would allow those of us who favor these guitars to shim them to various heights to suite our tastes, or climatic changes.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited November 2006 Posts: 6,153
    Believe me...the last thing you want is a Saga bridge. They're way too overbuilt. You're much better off getting one from Josh.

'm
  • pmh425pmh425 Middle Island, NY✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2006 Posts: 86
    Believe me...the last thing you want is a Saga bridge. They're the way too overbuilt. You're much better off getting one from Josh.

'm

I'm curious about that. I have a friend who has had a couple of Gitane's and the sound is very good with the stock bridge. Also, when looking at pictures and Videos of John Jorgensen, he appears to be using the Stock Gitane bridge. I have Dell'Arte with the stock ebony bridge and I am very pleased with the sound.
    -Peter
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    As a general rule... If it sounds good to you then it's fine.

The reason I don't like the saga bridge is that the design it flat out wrong. The rest of the guitar is great as far as following a Selmer style plan. But the bridge just is not the correct design and the tone of the guitar suffers because of this.

That being said... I am open to building you anything you need or want.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Has anyone else noticed a difference between American players and UK players in that there is a great emphasis on replacing the bits on their guitars? I just don't see this with most players in the UK. Most people buy their guitars because they like the way they sound and play, so why go about changing them?
    On the other hand, John Lennon couldn't resist changing the bits on his Rickenbackers... maybe that's why he moved to America!
  • artillerie_lourdeartillerie_lourde Across the PondNew
    Heretic wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed a difference between American players and UK players in that there is a great emphasis on replacing the bits on their guitars? I just don't see this with most players in the UK. Most people buy their guitars because they like the way they sound and play, so why go about changing them?
    On the other hand, John Lennon couldn't resist changing the bits on his Rickenbackers... maybe that's why he moved to America!

I personally do not see much point in changing bits. When I first got my GJ guitar, I replaced the stock bridge with a Dupont and found I preferred the the stock bridge. Of the Gitane's I have played (or heard others playing) that have had the stock SAGA bridge, most have sounded very good, especially the John Jorgensen models. I have heard two or three with replacement bridges and did not hear improvement and, in one case, the low end all but disappeared (I understand that the owner ended up putting the stock bridge back on).

Taste, whether it be in food, clothes or the characteristics of guitars is very personal. What one person likes, others may not. I think it is far more important to work on improving ones skills than messing about with things.

Far more of how good or bad a guitar sounds when playing is in the person than in the instrument itself. Practice, get better and you will sound better regardless of the Guitar (and what kind of bridge or strings it has) and the pick you are using. As Chet Atkins once said, after putting down the guitar he was playing when he was told how the great the guitar sounded, "How does it sound now?"
    Neville
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    The Deluxe tuners LOOK a lot nicer and more durable than the stock but how easy are they to fit? Are the holes positioned the same?

Thanks
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
    pmh425 wrote:
    Believe me...the last thing you want is a Saga bridge. They're the way too overbuilt. You're much better off getting one from Josh.

'm

I'm curious about that. I have a friend who has had a couple of Gitane's and the sound is very good with the stock bridge. Also, when looking at pictures and Videos of John Jorgensen, he appears to be using the Stock Gitane bridge. I have Dell'Arte with the stock ebony bridge and I am very pleased with the sound.

If ain't broke, don't fix it. However, in general we've found that the Saga's sound much better with a custom bridge. In most cases they loose the bass heavy, reverby sound that is so characteristic of the Gitanes. They get crunchier...usually a big improvement. Even some of the Saga reps have told me they know the factory bridges are substandard. But Saga has been resistant to improving them.

I've had three different bridges made for my Favino...and they've made a world of difference. Really brought the guitar to life....makes sense though. The bridge is the conduit that transfers energy from the string to the top. If it's too heavy or not making proper contact, it's going to dampen the sound.

But again, if it sounds good to you, then leave it alone. I played an $80 Harmony flatop once that was one of the best guitars I've ever heard...go figure?
    Maca wrote:
    The Deluxe tuners LOOK a lot nicer and more durable than the stock but how easy are they to fit? Are the holes positioned the same?

Thanks

I think they should fit on any Saga w/out too much trouble. Josh, do you know for sure?
    Heretic wrote:

I'm no sure I'd characterize it as a regional thing...I know we've sold lots of parts to UK players too. It's more individual...some people just like to tinker with their guitars. Sometimes it makes a difference, other times not. For many, the joy is just in experimenting and seeing what does or doesn't happen with the sound.

It's also worth noting that not all Gypsy players are indifferent about instruments as you might think. When I lived in the Netherlands I did a lengthy interview with Leo Eimers. He spoke at great length of how specific the Rosenbergs were about how their guitars were set up. Stochelo was keenly aware of even the most minute details of Selmer guitars. He often specified very particular action, heel depth, bracing, etc for his guitars. I was surprised by that. I also found that the Limbergers and Fappy were also pretty geeky about their guitars. However, I get the impression that many of the French Gypsies don't care too much (i.e. Angelo, Tchavolo, etc.) But Bireli and Boulou Ferre show a lot of interest in what they're playing....so again it seems to a personal thing.