DjangoBooks.com

String Wear

guitarnowskiguitarnowski Peru, ILNew Gitane, etc., etc.,
Hi all,

I recently was able to score a nice used DG-255...my first GJ axe! Very exciting times here in corn country!!

Anyway, I'm obviously also working on my first set of strings, too (that I installed). So, it needed a little setup work, and between the luthier and me, we have it pretty well set. I've just been backing off the truss rod a bit recently.

Today as I loosened/tightened up the strings during the adjusting phase, I noticed on my G string that there is a wear spot right at the Zero fret. Is that typical/normal? I can understand one being at every other fret, but I haven't been doing much fretting on the headstock! :wink:

I have done a little fingerstyle playing on it, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't bending anything at that fret either.

(And there's no burr on the 0 fret either)

Any ideas, folks? I appreciate any help here.

thanks!

Comments

• guitarnowskiguitarnowski Peru, ILNew Gitane, etc., etc.,
    aarrggh! and it JUST broke, right there.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Replace the string

I just ordered 10 high E and G strings and was able to complete 10 sets of strings. I break the G and E strings all the time and have to pilfer them out of sets. Do your self a favor the next time you make a strings order and get a few extra Gs and Es. They just break.

Cheers,
    Josh
    I believe that. I'm hell on strings anyway, on my electric.

I can see Michael can start planning that vacation now that I'll need to start buying bulk strings!

Lucky I had a set to pilfer from. Have to order more later this evening.....

thanks

dave
  • just the bassplayerjust the bassplayer Huntington, NYNew
    I've heard of "Formal Wear", and "Casual Wear", but "String Wear" is a new one to me. Is that the newest fashion trend where you are? I don't want to be left behind.
    Come to think of it, G-Strings are particularly fitting...
    heheheheh.....

there's a lot of things I'm not typing right now!!!! (this being a family forum and all)
    :twisted:
    anyway, my question, in case in got lost in the tangents....is: is this some normal string wear on one of these guitars? Seems like an odd place for that to happen.
    I think it's normal. There is a LOT of tension on the zero fret... So much so that I've noticed that the string is digging into the fret. If that happens, you'll have to watch out for burrs.