DjangoBooks.com

where to find violin players?

MinorBluesMinorBlues New York✭✭✭
edited November 2006 in Violin Posts: 80
I live in New York, so there must be violin players all over the place. But where does one look to find some swinging jazz violin players around here? It's probably even harder to find one in my age group (20's). Reason is, I want to try to start a GJ project for fun. I never jammed with a violin player before.

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    If you're in your twenties and in NYC, I'd try searching for "violin" in your zip code on myspace and the like...something's bound to turn up. Also try getting in touch with Ben Wood of Franglais; he might know some people in the area.

A violinist friend of mine does a lot of NY gigs, too; I'll ask her if she knows anyone local.

Best,
    Jack.
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    You might try asking around at the Manhattan School of Music. You may not find someone who already plays the music but you might find a great player who wants to. You could even go lo-tech and put up a card on a bulletin board. Do people do that anymore?

Ken Bloom
    Ken Bloom
  • MinorBluesMinorBlues New York✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions. I doubt that manhattan school of music would let me post something on their bulletin boards. I will definitely go look through myspace though. Like you said, there are probably some good violin players out there that don't play GJ, but would probably try it , given the opportunity.
  • poboxnycpoboxnyc New YorkNew
    Try the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music.

My daughter age 7. just started suzuki violin there and my wife and I are doing it with her. All beginners. I'm of coursed biased as I want her to do Gypsy swing ala Grapelli and Nicoulescu both of whom she is already familar with-- as daddy has been brainwashing her for years.

They seem to have a lot of different kinds of players there --- lots of jazz musicians--it's a wonderful place.

I will ask for you as well the next session next week. as I am interested in meeting other violin players--specifically Gypsy swing with my daughter. She may end up a corporate lawyer or an investment banker yet -- but not if I can help it.