DjangoBooks.com

today's Times

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited November 2006 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 1,752
Hey all,

I saw this in today's Times:
frugal_600.jpg

(The New Orleans Jazz Vipers at the Spotted Cat.) It's amazing how little it takes to recognize a Selmer-style...I don't suppose anyone here is in the band?

Comments

• Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Great pic. I also like the guitar in the painting on the wall.

A.E.
  • lukejazzlukejazz Natchitoches, Louisiana✭✭✭ Dunn Belleville, Dupont MD50
    I'm not in the group but my nephew who is a professional musician in New Orleans knows them - they live across the street from him. He says that they are obsessed with being "authentic" which is always a big plus in NO. Generally I guess what that means is that they try to treat their repertoire (older jazz) in such a way as to re-create it's original "vibe" - something that gypsy jazzers would likely be very familiar with.

One of the ways they do that is that they never use amplification of any kind - you see them all huddled there in the corner - that's probably a real representation of them actually performing. Personally I think that's awesome - I would definitely try to do the same thing if I could.

I've never gotten to see them play personally but my nephew says that they're the greatest thing going in N.O.

Keep on Swingin'
    Luke
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Yes! The Spotted Cat! You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a great swing player or band in NOLA. Neti Van normally plays violin for the Jazz Vipers. I don't know the violinist in the photo. Note the tip jar and CD's on the table in front of the band. True New Orleans venue. Tony Green and I went over and sat in with Pierre Pichon following our performance at Snug Harbor last year, which is right across the street on Frenchmen. Neti was playing violin. The Spotted Cat often has two bands a night. Like Washboard Chaz. A small bar, hence the passerbys in the doorway. They call it Frenchmen St. for a reason. dba club, a block away. is where HC of New Orleans often performs.
    Thanks for the photo post.
    Best,
    Allin
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Just can't seem to get away from these Jazz Viper fellas...

I was looking for something else on NPR.org -- and look what I found. Click on "Listen" and hear a 7 minute 20 second audio clip of them playing Night and Day.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6545270

A.E.