DjangoBooks.com

django used....?

aa New York City✭✭✭✭
10s through 45s? Argentines, right?
does dupont make the most accurate repro of the original selmers? how about the md50?
Www.alexsimonmusic.com
Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    It seems to be generally accepted than Django used Argentines. But why do we think that? What is this assumption based on?

Since he was notoriously indifferent to his equipment - often forgetting to take his guitar to a gig - why do we feel he was particularly concerned about what strings he used?

I am trying to remember when I first read that Django used Argentines and I think it may be relatively recently.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    "Since he was notoriously indifferent to his equipment "

i thought he had a lot of trouble playing anything but his selmers...something about the necks on american guitars were too small. i wonderwhat gauge he used.. [/quote]
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    the most accurate reproduction of an original Selmer is the Dupont Vieille Reserve which will run you about $6500 US.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    are there any major differences (structural, not so much superficial/finish) differences between the md50 are the $6500 dupont?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    better wood, laquering on the inside (as with original Selmers). There may be some other differences too - the other big difference is that Dupont takes a lot of care with the Vieille Reserve, whereas more recent MD50s vary widely in quality because they are no longer handmade by Dupont himself, and they're churning them out quickly. I think I've heard said somewhere that he only makes 12 VRs per year. Older Duponts (mid 90s or earlier) generally sound good I believe. One of the nicest I've heard on record is Maurizio Geri's guitar which has a beautiful tone and is from the late 80s.
  • mmaslanmmaslan Santa Barbara, CANew
    The Dupont Vielle Reserve is not the only precise reproduction of the original Selmer. Michael Collins of Ontario makes a very faithful reproduction for less than the MD50, as does Moustache of Holland. Both feature the original three-piece walnut neck and the lacquered interior. I'm sure there are other luthiers who do the same. I own a Collins Petit Bouche and I love it. (I'm not sure how it feels about me.)

Don't assume that a guitar is a faithful repro just because it looks like one. Luthiers often experiment with bracing and materials. Keep in mind, too, that the Selmer has non-adjustable aluminum strips in the neck rather than a truss rod. Most luthiers use truss rods nowadays, but not all. The neck on a Collins is identical to the originals.
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Nick, isn't Geri's guitar all maple? It looks like a blonde to me.

Cheers,
    Ando
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Ando,

I believe it does have maple back and sides :)
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    What does all that have to do with what Django used?

To bring it back on track... I think that Django cared much more about the clothing he was buying then the strings he was using. However I have read that there was a "prized" string that he liked but I have never read what string that was.

Cheers
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Josh Hegg wrote:
    What does all that have to do with what Django used?

I think if you go back and follow the thread from the original post (in which "a" asked about Dupont Selmer style guitars) all will become clear.