DjangoBooks.com

Swing Amor from Japan

Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
edited December 2006 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 795
I have just come across the gypsy jazz group Swing Amor from Japan. You may have already heard of them of course, but if not.....

I had heard a little on Live365 internet radio. I googled their website (www.swingamor.com), ran the Japanese through Google's page translater. I emailed the leader Daisuke Teshima and he kindly sent me their CD which has been at the top of my drive for the last couple days.

I am really taken by these guys. They have incredible energy and drive. Their setup is straight guitar (3) and bass. Daisuke Teshima on solo guitar has a great crunchy tone, very clean and convincingly laces GJ phrases with nice melodic lines. The rhythm section rocks! This stuff really swings. Of the twelve songs, 5 are originals of which a couple at least are extraordinary. Swing Amor also breaths some new life into GJ standards like Lady Be Good and Dark Eyes and tackle a couple jazz standards nicely as well. Their version of the beautiful Bireli & Sylvain Luc piece Made in France rocks hard and drives this song to a whole new level. The CD has delicate moments as well such as Daisuke's superb Valse de Amor and the closing piece My One and Only Love featuring the singing of Kaori Kobiyama. The arrangements are good and though this group could survive in virtuosity alone, they have chosen to work on the arrangements to make songs even better. The recording quality is outstanding and the CD production is very professional (liner notes are in French).

Daisuke is trying to get more exposure in the US and after listening to the CD steady for the last couple days, I told him I would mention his efforts here.

The Swing Amor website has short samples of all the songs on the CD. Daisuke Teshima's email is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> and you can order direct from him as I did. I think Michael is trying to get some for the Djangobooks store.

Happy Holidays All,

Craig