DjangoBooks.com

D'Addario to Launch New GJ Strings February

ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
These guys take their R&D seriously - they should be excellent !

http://www.daddario.com/DADNewsDetail.aspx?ParID=7243

Comments

• sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    The wound strings are silver plated steel over a hex core

Steel, not copper. Hmm. I would think the use of softer copper would be a key part of the Argentine sound.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    I wonder if the copper core is why the Argies are so springy...and tire so quickly. You would think they'd address this; we'll see soon enough. At the very least it will make emergency strings easily available!
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    My magnet says Argentine cores are steel. Copper would be too soft, weak and stretchy for the core. I believe the windings however are copper, silver plated.

Argentines "Tire so quickly"?? Mine seem to last forever, months, longer than any other I've tried both physically and tonally (is tonally a word?). Oh well, it's a whacky world.

Peace,

Craig
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Yes, Argentines have a steel core and silver-plated copper wraps. In my very limited experience I've had them break more often than bronze-wound steel strings, but it's just as often the unwound ones! So copper may not be the culprit in breakage...
  • nuagesnuages central ar.✭✭✭
    Retail price is $17.99...they'd better be good.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    nuages wrote:
    Retail price is $17.99...they'd better be good.

Are you KIDDING?? If that's what they're hoping to get, I'd say they wasted a lot of money on their R & D...

Best,
    Jack.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    To be fair, I just found the D'Addario EJ38 12-String Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings on Amazon selling at $8.19 have a retail price of $20.49.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I'm sure that $17.99 is MSRP (Manufactures Suggested Retail Price) They will probably never be that much on line or in store.

J
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    We'll have these strings when they come out....just talked to D'Addario and they won't have stock for several more months.

'm
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    I'm hopeful that D'Addario will get these right. As much as I love the tone of Savarez, their quality control is dreadful. It seems like one in every two or three packs has a defective string in it.