DjangoBooks.com

New La Gitane Transcription

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in Repertoire Posts: 1,752
Hi all,

Barry Warren of the Hot Club of Philadelphia was kind enough to share his transcription of La Gitane with us (see below.) Says Barry:
It's in notation only, [I'll do a tab version eventually]. I used the Amazing Slowdowner, [of course], and used Angelo's version from Gypsy Guitars and Tchan-Tchou's, from the "Gipsy Jazz School compilation," on the IRIS label. The transcription combines both versions, mainly Angelo's.

I think he'll be checking in as well if anyone has any questions about the transcription, so ask away...

Best,
Jack.

Comments

• HCPHCP Jenkintown PANew
    Hey kids,

I'll do a tab file for La Gitane. It looks like that would be more useful to most of you.
    Barry Warhoftig,
    HC Philly
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    It would probably also have helped if I hadn't loaded half the images upside down...sorry, Barry! I'm sure everyone can rotate them after the download, but if anyone's having trouble let me know...

Best,
    Jack.
  • AJATangoAJATango New
    JACK! I Started learning it backwards! hehe ;)
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Here's another transcription but I'm not sure what recording it is from

http://jazz.chansons.free.fr/jazz/LAGITA~1.TEF
    Hey y'all,

I did a PT version of La Gitane. Mostly Angelo's version.
    the file on Jazzchansons is also Angelo's. It's pretty close, but I think that I was a bit closer on some of the rhythms.
    BTW, Angelo [and Tchan-Tchou to some degree], had a lot of variation in their playing, especially in the main theme.
    I made an attempt to standardize it to some degree, rather than just
    doing a literal transcription.
    Good luck,
    keep swingin'
    Barr
    Hey fellow Hotheads,

I wanted to see how you guys were doing with the tab version of "La Gitane." There might be chord or two missing at the end, I was in a hurry to finish it. Anyhow, I hope that it was useful. I'll send in some other things when I get a chance.
    Barry
  • MatMat New
    Is it me or I can't never hear the eighth notes in bar 13? In any version I've heard it sounds like triplets all the way through those bars.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Which version is this? Angleo's or Tchan-Tchou's ?
  • MatMat New
    Angelo.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I think I already have Angelos version in tablature from Don Price's waltz book...