DjangoBooks.com

Best Theory and Repertoire Books?

Michael MMichael M SebastopolNew
edited February 2007 in Technique Posts: 6
I'm new to Gypsy as a player and hoped to get some recommendations for Theory and Repertoire books. I have purchased and downloaded all of Michael's online lessons and want to start a basic library. I am new to Gypsy Jazz but not new to guitar playing.

Cheers!

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    For repertoire I like The Robin Nolan Gig book and The ultimate Django book, some people really like the Cosimini ones as well.
    For theory I don`t know any books on gypsy jazz, there`s Derek Sebastian L`esprit manouche which has some theory (not too gypsy if you ask me), you can try Getting into Jazz guitar by Stephane Wrembel, if not maybe Mark Levine`s Jazz theory book can help some.
    As for other books you can`t go wrong with Gypsy picking, Gypsy fire, Unaccompanied Django, and I`ve heard the Pearl Django playalong is cool too.
    Good luck and happy swinging!
  • tommasotommaso ROMA-ITALYNew
    I started one year ago, these are the books I use:
    1. Gypsy Picking by M.Horowitz to learn the correct picking
    2. Getting into Gyspy Jazz by S.Wrembel to learn basics of GJ
    3. Gypsy Fire by A.Oberg lo learn some typical licks
    4. The Robin Nolan Books to start playng many songs
    5. L'esprit manouche by Romane to go in deepness in GJ
    6. The Romane DVD
    7. Astuces of gypsy jazz by A.Debarre, S.Doussat, Doux (voll.1 & 2)

Have good job,
    Tommaso :D
    Grazie Django!
  • YannYann Luxembourg (Old Europe)New
    Hi,

I started a year and a half ago, and the only book I bought was Michael Horowitz' Gypsy Picking. It is very useful to start in this style.

Yann
    My own Manouche guitar page in the works: http://www.serendipity-band.com/misc/ma ... toc-en.htm
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I think Tommaso's list is pretty good, but I wouldn't bother with the Romane book right away...the Astuces book is a much easier way into the style. I'd also put in an order for Gypsy Rhythm once it's available, and look into Dennis' DVD about rhythm playing:
    DCdvdCoverV3.jpg

I don't think any of the books out before these cover rhythm playing too well, but I've got high hopes for both of these...

Best,
    Jack.
    For repertoire I like The Robin Nolan Gig book and The ultimate Django book, some people really like the Cosimini ones as well.
    For theory I don`t know any books on gypsy jazz, there`s Derek Sebastian L`esprit manouche which has some theory (not too gypsy if you ask me), you can try Getting into Jazz guitar by Stephane Wrembel, if not maybe Mark Levine`s Jazz theory book can help some.
    As for other books you can`t go wrong with Gypsy picking, Gypsy fire, Unaccompanied Django, and I`ve heard the Pearl Django playalong is cool too.
    Good luck and happy swinging!

I've got L'esprit manouche and it's pretty good, though the organization is not as strong as it could be. Some of the musical/theoretical terms used in that book aren't what I'm used to seeing in fake books and other theory books. Plenty of great stuff in there.

I just got Nolan's Playalong Vol 1 and it's a blast. Well done.

Mark Levine's Jazz Theory is the book on jazz theory.
  • Michael MMichael M SebastopolNew
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will buy a few of those and get my library started.
    I have "The Jazz Theory Book" by Mark Levine and I agree that it is excellent, a must have.
    I can see that I am going to enjoy this forum!

Thanks Again