DjangoBooks.com

Manoir De Mes Reves aka Django's Castle

sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
edited February 2007 in History Posts: 415
Does anyone know when/why "Manoir de Mes Reves" became Anglicized as "Django's Castle"? Just wondering, as a lot of the other songs are still known by their French names, and it's not close to a literal translation.

thanks,

John

Comments

• bertonebertone Morristown, NJNew
    I've wondered the same thing...some searching turned up Chet Atkins' comments here:

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/djquotes.html

Speaking of this tune, a great non-gypsy jazz version is on "The Phil Woods Six: Live at The Showboat" recording from 1976, featuring the late Harry Leahey on guitar. Harry was a great player and teacher here in the NJ area for many years but sadly under-recorded, his best-known being two records with Phil Woods and some under his own name for independent labels. He was a great person, great player and a great admirer of Django.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Thanks, Bertone. Very interesting! I had thought maybe Gerry Mulligan gave it that title, but it sounds like Atkins recorded it first.
    Years later I recorded a tune of Django's, "Manoir de mes Reves" [Nashville Gold, RCA Camden, CAS2555]. I think literally translated it means "Castle Of My Dreams." But I called it "Django's Castle," and a bunch of jazz people picked it up and recorded it under that title. Also because of that, Gene Goodman, a publisher, put it out with some other Django tunes [A Treasury Of Django Reinhardt Solos, Jewel Music Publishing Co., 110 East 59th St., New York, NY 100221]. So I like to think that maybe indirectly I helped his widow a little by getting that folio out. I still admire Django very much, and I listen to him like I do Bix Beiderbecke. You can listen to Django and imagine a modern rhythm section with him and really tell what a great player he was.

The last point Atkins makes is the same one Robin Nolan makes in the intro to the SongBook #1, which I am going through now. Too bad he didn't have a rhythm guitar foil as forward-thinking as he was!

John