DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

bebs21 Amir_G fathersgin terrypayne

Manoir De Mes Reves aka Django's Castle

sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
edited February 2007 in History Posts: 415
Does anyone know when/why "Manoir de Mes Reves" became Anglicized as "Django's Castle"? Just wondering, as a lot of the other songs are still known by their French names, and it's not close to a literal translation.

thanks,

John

Comments

• bertonebertone Morristown, NJNew
    I've wondered the same thing...some searching turned up Chet Atkins' comments here:

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/djquotes.html

Speaking of this tune, a great non-gypsy jazz version is on "The Phil Woods Six: Live at The Showboat" recording from 1976, featuring the late Harry Leahey on guitar. Harry was a great player and teacher here in the NJ area for many years but sadly under-recorded, his best-known being two records with Phil Woods and some under his own name for independent labels. He was a great person, great player and a great admirer of Django.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Thanks, Bertone. Very interesting! I had thought maybe Gerry Mulligan gave it that title, but it sounds like Atkins recorded it first.
    Years later I recorded a tune of Django's, "Manoir de mes Reves" [Nashville Gold, RCA Camden, CAS2555]. I think literally translated it means "Castle Of My Dreams." But I called it "Django's Castle," and a bunch of jazz people picked it up and recorded it under that title. Also because of that, Gene Goodman, a publisher, put it out with some other Django tunes [A Treasury Of Django Reinhardt Solos, Jewel Music Publishing Co., 110 East 59th St., New York, NY 100221]. So I like to think that maybe indirectly I helped his widow a little by getting that folio out. I still admire Django very much, and I listen to him like I do Bix Beiderbecke. You can listen to Django and imagine a modern rhythm section with him and really tell what a great player he was.

The last point Atkins makes is the same one Robin Nolan makes in the intro to the SongBook #1, which I am going through now. Too bad he didn't have a rhythm guitar foil as forward-thinking as he was!

John