DjangoBooks.com

Denis Chang's Jazz Manouche DVD - redux

viperviper VermontNew
edited September 2008 in Technique Posts: 51
Ladies and Gents,

I won't double post, but I wanted to let you know I posted a review to the Gypsy Jazz 101 forum about an excellent resource that I just received - Denis Chang's Jazz Manouche DVD - The Art of Accompaniment. I just realized that it should probably go in the Technique forum instead. Here it is:

viewtopic.php?t=2810

Comments

• HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    I just received Denis Chang's Jazz Manouche the Art of Accompaniment DVD. It arrived quickly after ordering it. I must say that it is a wonderful resource for those of us who don't have teachers.
    Denis covers a vast array of rhythm styles with concentration on the traditional. His critiques of his students actually helps due to his lightning quick evaluations, and they help the viewer not to feel like they are only one struggling to perfect the various techniques.
    He teaches la pompe, but he is never pompous; quite the contrary. He is enthusiastic and open-minded about different ways of playing.
    His section on chord substitutions comes at you rather rapidly, but that is the benefit of having it on DVD. You can stop, or re-wind until you get it.
    It's an important addition to my collection of instructional books, CDs and DVDs - glad I bought it.
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Heretic:

Thanks for the positive review. I must say you win the prize for most quotable review. The line "... he teaches pomp, but is never pompous" really tipped the scale in your favor.

cheers

wayne nakamura
    HyperHip Media.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    Dear Denis!

I've received your splendid DVD previous week. I would like to proof, that delivery is extra-rapid, absolute record for my over-seas orders. Once again, I could say, that it was a really fine idea to have 3 (different level and style, even with different instruments) students on a video: on a lot of tutorial DVDs we have only a teacher, but no feedback with a student trying to do the stuff. And for sure, you are a very good (clever, attentive and persistent) teacher in general; it's really pleasure also, that you managed to pack a lot of material on one DVD. THANK YOU!

Anton
  • chip3174chip3174 New
    Got my copy of your rhythm dvd yesterday, absolutely great!! When are your other ones coming available?

Chip

P.S.: One question about the audio, sometimes it sounds like you are talking through water, is that the way it was recorded or do I need to trash my tv?? :)
  • pkdjangopkdjango New
    After a long wait, I finally got my copy of the "Jazz Manouche -- the Art of Accompaniment" video. I absolutely loved it. I did watch it from the beginning to the end, trying a few things here and there. Obviously, I didn't have time to absorb it all.

I'm decent at noticing subtle differences and picking things up by ear, but the last section of the video has a whole bunch of nice patterns that went by pretty fast. To save some time in picking those up, I was wondering if there was a way to slow down the DVD to the speed I want (and put a particular section in a loop) so that I can watch the last section over and over. I use a program called "Amazing Slowdowner" for audio files, but I don't know if there is a video version of such tool (a video editing tool might be a bit too expensive and hard to use, I suppose)? I watch the DVD on my computer, in case it didn't seem clear.

And what a wonderful DVD. I can't wait to see the next one in the series!!

I do eat lots of chicken, btw. :-) (For those of you who haven't watched this DVD, you'll see what I mean once you watch it, especially the end.)
    hey thanks folks, i appreciate it..

the new dvds should be out fairly soon!
    chip3174 wrote:
    \

P.S.: One question about the audio, sometimes it sounds like you are talking through water, is that the way it was recorded or do I need to trash my tv?? :)

hmmm i dont know , i haven't watched the dvd, can anyone answer chip?
  • pkdjangopkdjango New
    The audio seemed fine to me. I was watching it on my computer and my computer's speaker isn't all that great (the volume is pretty low even at maximum), but the sound came through pretty clear. You might want to try a different DVD player or TV (or a computer).

BTW, you haven't watched your own DVD, Dennis? :-)

And I'm still wondering about this. Is your name spelled "Denis" or "Dennis"?

Thanks!
    dennis wrote:
    chip3174 wrote:
    \

hmmm i dont know , i haven't watched the dvd, can anyone answer chip?
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    dennis, any idea as to when the new dvd's will be available ? your rhythm dvd was a great help. lots of bang for the buck . the ability to loop / auto repeat small sections so it would play an example over and over without having to stop and hit rewind is fantastic. PLEASE make sure that feature is available on the soloing dvd's. thanks for the great product
    shut up and play your guitar