DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

bebs21 Amir_G fathersgin terrypayne

oscar aleman picking style

edited April 2007 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 3
I've been listening to a lot of swing lately and have studied some django-style picking from djangobooks.com This style is using a lot of downwards rest-strokes with a free floating hand which make very rapid and loud picking possible. This is an old picking style, similar, I think, to what Bob B calls the compression stroke. Players like Eddie Lang and Lonnie Johnson used it. I'm trying to adapt this technique to fingerstyle with picks. I've wondered how Aleman, using a thumbpick, is almost as fast as a gypsy guitarist. Does anyone know anything about his picking technique. I he using the thumb alone or is he combining with fingers like Jazz bass player Dominique dePiazza who uses thumb-pick and one finger?

Michael

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Michael,

Oscar Aleman used a thumb pick in conjunction with his index and middle fingers. It allowed him to do certain types of arpeggiations which a plectrum player can't do. However, it was a little clumsier for single note work. He also used a lot more hammer-ons and pull-offs then a Gypsy player woud.

Django was definitely faster and cleaner when playing purely linear single note runs. But Oscar was very melodic and had a great sense of swing, so whatever technique he used he's was bound to sound good.

You can see videos of him playing here:

http://www.djangobooks.com/archives/200 ... tml#000850

http://www.djangobooks.com/archives/200 ... tml#000554

http://www.djangobooks.com/archives/200 ... tml#000559
    Thanks, Michael, for your answer.

Those video-clips were really helpful. It is indead more clumsy, and lack the projection. But it seems he is not using rest strokes and has a more classical guitar technique. I used to be a semi-professional classical player. And there are virtually now classical guitarist who can play single lines a clear as flamenco players who use rest-strokes. This really inspires me to see what can be done with fingerpick and thumb rest-strokes. I see no reason why this can be almost as clean as a using a pick. Tommy Emannuel uses a thumb-pick to play quite clean fast lines, I think he uses regular alternating picking using the thumb-pick as it was a thumbpick. I see in my head a picking style which is a hybrid of Wes, Tommy, Bob Brozman, and Stochelo. I wish I was kid again, time on my hands, and not a 46 year old with three kids, a busy day job, trying to find time to write a book.