DjangoBooks.com

HC Philly video

HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in Welcome Posts: 147
Hey kids,
We're on this new-fangled You-tube site,
check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyXRZzXtkc

We're playing Manoir De Me Reve at the Mermaid Inn.
The fiddle solo is Mark Campiglia, the guitar solo is me.
Hope ya'll like it.
Also, I've been doing some "Band in the Box"
files for GJ songs. Email me thru this site
or thru www.hotclubphilly.com and I'll send you some cool stuff.

Barr

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    great job Barr... nobody in Portland plays that song anymore because it takes FOREVER when we are in a jam with 10 people... but it's nice to hear this. your solo is really creative... nice job. :-)
  • HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    Jon,
    Thanks bro.' As far as it being a long song, sometimes we'll
    each play a 1/2 chorus each to keep it interesting.

!
    The 1/2 chorus thing works well
    on songs like Nuages. We might post a clip of the HC P. playing Nuages with our female vocalist, Phyllis Chapell. She's way good, and is pretty darned cute to boot. [Could be another gig rule Re. cute chick singers]
    Cheers,
    B.W.
  • DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
    Barr

I really enjoyed that clip, there is so much there I I hear too little of these days, namely space...you are using space so well, the sign of a really seasoned and confident player, plus attention to dynamics and line shapes, things I also miss alot with some GJazz players. Well done man!

Post more, its great to hear and watch.

-Chuck
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Absolutely -

That's wonderful. It's a thoughtful well paced piece with lyrical solos and as Chuck has said - time and space to consider and enjoy the music.

Warren Haynes put it this way: "It's all about sentences - when you're speaking - it's not just "word word word word word word word word ... you have to have pauses for drama."

http://www.gibson.com/Lesson/Lesson/dat ... video1.swf
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Very sweet. Expansive performance. I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

8)
  • HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for all of the kind words Re. our Youtube debut.
    We are really trying to go for something a bit different.
    Our singer Phyllis Chapell really adds a lot in that direction,
    we're going to post a clip with her ASAP.
    BTW, I do think that the phrasing point that some of you
    [Duozona, Bob, Halo Stackabones], mentioned is a really good thing to consider. I was thinking that maybe one of the most difficult, and yet important issuses to work on is when to start and end your phrases.
    BTW, I think that it's eaisier to play on a song like "Autumn Leaves,"
    than a piece like "Manoir De Me Reves ," because it's harder to sound interesting on a song that dosen't have a different chord change every one or two bars.
    Quick point;
    Guitar players in general aren't always good at just playing
    the MELODY. Most of us started out playing rock and roll, where we played rhythm and took solos, but didn't have to lean to play melodies. Horn players, violinst, etc, because of the nature of their instruments are playing melodies from the begining
    of their studies. The related issue here is that the phrasing of the melody
    is usually a good template for the phrasing of your solo. The phrasing can be a guide, [even at an unconscious level, as you are playing].
    I've noticed that my students at times don't really know the melody
    to a song that they are working on. It's almost as if the melodic statment of the song is just the part where the guitar player doesn't get to solo :wink: Needless to say, it helps to to REALLY know the song that you're soloing on, which means it should be memorized. [Lose the books, ASAP]! If you are showing up week after week to your jams and/or gigs with music books, maybe you should examine your level of commitment. It's a lot easier to memorize a song if you really know the melody. BTW, I recall playing the melody to "Autumn Leaves" at a lesson, and the teacher, [famous G.J. player], said, "if I were sitting in the audience listening to you I'd say to myself", 'this guy doesn't really know the melody of this song.'
    He was right, [of course!] and I was so mortified that I learned it right away.
    Maybe it takes a lot of work and support and "tough love" to make some progress. Anyhow, thanks again, and I hope that some of y'all find my ravings helpful.
    Anyhow, more on this later, I'm handing the conch shell over to you all.
    B.W.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Barry, I couldn't agree with you more. If you can't play the head to a tune, your solo is at best a jam over the changes and what I usually hear at GJ jams is a lot of players simply letting "their fingers do the walking".

A solo should be musical phrases that you hear, not patterns that you play from muscle memory. It is fine to do practice exercises that develop your finger dexterity, but if you don't spend the time to develop your ear, it is all an exercise in futility.

As for books, jazz is ear music, not eye music. Period. Charts are great tools for learning a tune or faking a tune that you don't know, but if you are always using charts, then you are always faking it.

It is a hard endeavor, this jazz guitar thing. If you want to do it well, be prepared to invest a LOT of time!

BTW, Great solo on the Vid Barry. Keep swinging.

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com

PS: If any of you are in Northern California in early June, be sure to catch our set with the Great jazz guitarist Mimi Fox at Djangofest San Francisco.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    great video!!! i really miss mark's antics, any chance you guys will be at django in june? you should also get mark to sing some tunes!
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    I enjoyed that, but I think you should try and smile once in a while when you play. It might not seem significant, but I have found that looking like you're having a great time cues the audience to relax and have a good time as well.