DjangoBooks.com

Thumb Position

Chris PetersonChris Peterson Santa Monica, CANew
edited February 2009 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 50
I learned years and years ago that I could not play chords with my thumb. I just don't have big enough hands. So, what should I do about these thumb position chords? For example, the root position G7 chord in Example 16 isn't possible without using thumb position. Is it better to lose the root on the bass, or to move the b7 down an octave so that I can keep the low G?

Also, instead of writing a review of the book, I have been thinking about posting a weekly review of what I have practiced and learned so that we can all learn from each others practice routine and what is working. Is anyone interested in reading my practice routine and possibly sharing their own, or am I just way too interested in practicing?

Chris
Work on the <A HREF="http://www.petersonmusic.com/wiki">Gypsy Jazz Fake Book</A>.No finale experience necessary.

Comments

• kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    I learned years and years ago that I could not play chords with my thumb. I just don't have big enough hands.

Hi Chris!

Actually, size doesn't matter that much, it's more about hand placement. This technique requires "bad habits" that every guitar teacher wants you to get rid of: press your palm against the back of the neck and turn your hand sideways, so your fingers point towards the guitar body (in line with the neck) instead of pointing upwards.
    So, what should I do about these thumb position chords? For example, the root position G7 chord in Example 16 isn't possible without using thumb position. Is it better to lose the root on the bass, or to move the b7 down an octave so that I can keep the low G?

Play the shapes you feel comfortable with. How you play is more important than what chord shape you choose to use as long as it's G7 where G7 is required.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Chris....I agree with Kimmo. If you get the right hand position you should be able to play most of the the thumb chords. Just give it a try for a few months. I think you'll find they become pretty natural over time.

'm
  • Chris PetersonChris Peterson Santa Monica, CANew
    I'll try it. It goes against everything that I teach (as you said earlier), but if it is that worth it, I'll give it a shot.

Chris
    Work on the <A HREF="http://www.petersonmusic.com/wiki">Gypsy Jazz Fake Book</A>.No finale experience necessary.
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    Hi Chris,

For what it's worth I tell all my students that for steel string guitar there is not just one hand position that works all the time. Having a mobile and experienced thumb is incredibily useful. I have even brought mine from in back of the neck and used it to get a bass note I couldn't reach any other way. The thumb is in common use if you play a lot of saz or balalaika so the use of it is not unique to the guitar. Just my 2p.
    Ken Bloom

Also, instead of writing a review of the book, I have been thinking about posting a weekly review of what I have practiced and learned so that we can all learn from each others practice routine and what is working. Is anyone interested in reading my practice routine and possibly sharing their own, or am I just way too interested in practicing?

Great idea! Go for it...
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    Listen to what these guys say about hand position it's spot on. Don't give up hope if you have small hands, I have very small hands, but with time these chords became something very comfortable to grab. I think it was Dennis Chang who told me:"If the little gypsy kids can do it, you can do it."
    Good luck!
    Also, I think listening to different people's practice regimens is pretty interesting. I hope that works out.
    Due to overwhelming response, I have decided that you guys must be on to something with this thumb position thing. I am trying it on the previously mentioned G7 chord and am having a lot of trouble. Below are a couple of pictures of the only hand position I could do that would get all the notes to sound. Sometimes the low G is buzzy from not fretting hard enough but if I compensate by fretting harder, I lose my 1st finger B. So, does this position look good? Any critiques?
    Looks pretty good...you might try using a little less thumb. The thumb just barely catches the low E string. It's very subtle.

Overall, I think you just need to do it everyday for 6 months. It's mostly about muscle memory.
    Ok, I am trying a little less thumb. Looking at Figure 1 in the book helps me to see what you are talking about. I am now modeling my left had position on that. The problem now is that within 5 minutes of trying to get it right, the area around my first finger and thumb hurts. Is this a sign that I am doing it wrong, or is it that I am just unpracticed?

Chris
  • dlloyddlloyd New
    I had some difficulty with the G7, but it's coming a bit easier now.

The Cm7 with the thumb barring the G and C, on the other hand...