DjangoBooks.com

Unaccompanied Django and others on CD

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited September 2013 in Unaccompanied Django Posts: 6,152
Someone asked me via private email about solo guitar performances by Gypsies. I made the following list of CD reccomendations...all available in the CD section of my store: CDs

Bireli does a solo peice on Move. Boulou Ferre does one on Intersection. Angelo Debarre does one on Impromtu (I'll have that for sale later this week.) Raphael does some amazing Flamenco influenced solo stuff on In Concert. Tchavolo Schmitt does one one Alors, Voila!

You might also want to check out Martin Taylor. Solo guitar playing is his specialty. He does a lot of Django tunes....see: Artistry, Spirit of Django, and Tone Poems.

Am Ketenes does Django's Improv. #3 with the whole band! See: Am Ketenes Swing La Poupa.

Also, Oscar Aleman does some amazing solo guitar work on Swing Guitar Masterpeices.

Dudley Hill of Pearl Django did some astounding solo guitar stuff on New Metropolitan Swing and Mystery Pacific.

Enjoy!

-Michael

Comments

• nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Tchavolo on Miri Familia, Fapy Lafertin on Fleur de Lavende, Bireli on 15, Philippe Nedjar on Shadow of Your Smile, etc. etc.
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Angelo Debarre does 2 solo pieces, 'The Old Gypsy' and 'Dark Eyes', included in the 'Gypsy Secrets Vol. 1' book, which are transcribed, and included on the accompanying disk. Well, worth having.
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ecom-prodshow/debarre_gypsy_secrets.html
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    edited October 2009 Posts: 264
    Couple of more favorites...
    Tchavolo Schmitt -
    Dijeske from the Mira Famila disk.
    Variation from the Alors ? ... Voilà !disk

I think you can get both off amazon. However, I really recommend you buy the CDs. You won't be disappointed. 8)
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    [quote="JazzDawg"]Couple of more favorites...
    Tchavolo Schmitt -
    Djieske from the Mira Famila disk.
    Variation from the Alors ? ... Voilà !disk

I think you can get both off amazon. However, I really recommend you buy the CDs. You won't be disappointed. 8)[/quote]

or you can get them here:

Tchavolo Schmitt - Alors ... Voila

Tchavolo Schmitt - Alors
    ... Voila

Tchavolo Schmitt - Miri Familia

Tchavolo Schmitt - Miri Familia

• JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Of course, that's what I meant to say. It's the single tracks I was talking about getting at that other site. Unless there's a way to get single tracks here, which would be fantastic actually!!! (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more.) :lol:
  • spinalityspinality Gardiner, WA, USANew
    One non-gypsy thought: Django took much inspiration from Eddie Lang's recordings. Lots of great solo playing there.
    -- Trevor Hanson, Gardiner WA
  • MartlawsMartlaws New
    Hi All,

I'm new to this site/forum but wanted, firstly, to say again how great the Unaccompanied Django book is. It's resulted in the biggest leap forward in my playing for years, stopped me merely going over old ground (in other words a guitar rut!) and been an all round revelation and allowed me to finally get some insight into pieces I tried to work out by ear 25 years ago!

Like others here I like the solo material as much (more?) than other DR music - brings you closer to the man.

What I then went on to do was look for more similar recordings by others. My technique was to use iRecordMusic software (on a Mac - don't know if it works on a PC) which enables me to record things on YouTube and which you cant' get on CDs etc.

After a few evening's work I now have some great 'field' /live recordings of various great solo performances (sometimes buried within documentaries) which I listen to continuously - Fapy, Angelo, Stochelo, Jimmy R, Wasso Ferret, Wasso Grunholz, Lollo, Birelli etc.

A recommended approach if you run out of CD recordings...
    Any chance you could send me a list of some youtube links/documentaries etc that have solo performances in? I'm trying to put a solo set together for busking, working on stochelo's nuages, la vieux tsigane by angelo and going to attempt to work out my own chord melody versions of some swing tunes too