DjangoBooks.com

Shertler Preamps

aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
Hey all,
I've recently come to the conclusion (w/ the help of Mr Hegg) that I need to obtain a shertler preamp to resolve my volume issues with my DYN-G into my David amp. Can anyone explain to me the differences between the "Shertler Stat-Pre Electrostatic preamp" and the "Shertler PRE AII Preamplifier"?
Is the later really necessary?
Is it really worth twice as much as the first one?
Does anyone else use this setup?
Thanks
Josh

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Josh,

Using a Schertler pre-amp into the David is redundant since the David already has all the pre-amp electronics built into the DYN channel. There's no reason to buy one....

'm
  • aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
    Is there a reason that I'm having issues getting any kind of serious volume out of that balanced channel?
    When I use a 1/4 cable and a shatten I get huge volume, but w/ my DYN I loose most of it.
  • DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
    Ace

I had similar issues a while back. A couple of things to consider/try:

-Move the Schertler DYN closer to the bridge, or just move it around in general to find the hot spot on your top

-Check your EQ settings on the amp, any cuts, particularly hi's and mid, will significantly lower your volume, so try keeping everything at 12 o'clock, or even a few boosts

-Finally, play around with the reverb, I find the spring reverb can also mess with the EQ and overall perceived volume

All my troubles have not been solved, but these things helped a bit. I was playing for a while with a partner who used a big-tone into an AER compact 60, and I would find myself on 5 on the Unico, while he would be cranking loud at about 2 on the AER. I had a Bigtone installed in my guitar to try and balance out with him, my luck, it still remained an issue, so either I have a not so loud Schertler Unico (hardly seems to make sense), my Bigtone is a rare soft one (maybe the case, as we switched amps and noticed my Bigtone was not as hot as his), or most liely those AER Compact 60's are just the most amazingly loud amps at that size.

I love my Schertler/Schertler combo sound way more than my Bigtone, and certainly more than the AER, but I may but an AER somewhere in the future to have options. There is something about the convenience of its size/weight that is appealing also.

-Chuck
    ace wrote:
    Is there a reason that I'm having issues getting any kind of serious volume out of that balanced channel?
    When I use a 1/4 cable and a shatten I get huge volume, but w/ my DYN I loose most of it.

That's strange since the DYN is a very hot pickup. Were are you putting it?

In general, the closer the bridge, the better the tone and volume.
  • aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
    Very close to the bridge...almost touching it.
    Directly behind the lower moustache.

thanks for the help!
    Josh
    Are you covering the whole pickup with putty? If the nipple is covered, then it won't pick up much sound.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    edited June 2007 Posts: 622
    Sorry Josh... Hope I didn't give you bad advice. I never did ask what amp you were using come to think of it....

Cheers,
    Josh
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Duozona wrote:
    -Check your EQ settings on the amp, any cuts, particularly hi's and mid, will significantly lower your volume, so try keeping everything at 12 o'clock, or even a few boosts
    -Chuck

Hi Josh,

I had a similar problem when I first got my David, and the EQ fixed it all...it really seems to have a big effect on the overall volume. Give it a whirl...

best,
    Jack.