DjangoBooks.com

I don't have a manouche guitar!

geoffgeoff Goshen, INNew
edited June 2007 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 10
Hi michael

i have a little problem right now: i don't have a manouche guitar. And i probably won't buy one for at least another 5 months. so should i still buy gypsy picking now and practice the gypsy picking materials on my other guitars?

i'm on holiday right now, and i've only brought my Ibanez RG guitar with me. I won't have access to my other guitars until i go home, and that would be at least another month and a half!

once i get home, i'll have access to my Yamaha AEX. it's a hollow body jazz guitar, identical to the one martin taylor uses.

I want to practice gypsy picking asap! so should I wait until I get a manouche guitar, or should I got right ahead and practice on my Ibanez RG until i get home and then practice on my Yamaha AEX?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Geoff....the AEX would be preferable. But you can practice on anything that has strings! Go for it... :D

'm
  • geoffgeoff Goshen, INNew
    awesome! thanks!!!
    Hey Geoff,

I had the same problem. Check out this thread:

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3251

Happy picking!
  • BillyBobBillyBob Graham, WaNew
    I have a 1962 Harmony Monterey F-hole archtop that I am starting with, because I am in the same boat as you.

It's convincing my lovely bride that I need a 6th guitar. (Look at my avatar) In the meantime, I will practice my chops on the Monterey, while I formulate a watertight excuse for another guitar. And actually with the rest stroke technique, this old box doesn't sound half bad. I even did my first gypsy gig with it last week. (Using my old technique)
    Just your average Djoe.