DjangoBooks.com

Practice not helping?

badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL
edited July 2007 in Technique Posts: 130
How do you guys handle plateaus in your development? Do you practice more, change things totally, take time off, make minor adjustments . . . ? I'm sure many of you have been in a rut before where it seems like you practice everything you can practice, and play with other people regularly, and so forth, but it seems like you aren't really getting any closer to sounding like you want to sound. I am there now and looking for a way out! This is getting discouraging! Is there an age when you think most musicians reach their peak, where they may in the future change minor things, but basically, that is just as good as they are going to get?

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I've found that just being patient helps...when I get that way, it tends to only last for a short time before a new song (or anything really-for some reason learning new turnarounds always gets me going) grabs my attention, and shows me something new...

You could try branching out a bit: if you tend to play the older rep (Minor Swing, Sweet Chorus, etc), learn something more modern (Micro, Fleche, Bric à Brac), and vice versa. Maybe try arranging a tune from a different genre in a Django-style way. Finally, one thing I always notice is that when I go back to the first tunes I learned, I'll suddenly have a lot of new ideas, because they got stuck in my head the way I learned them instead of the way I play now (I mean, I still stink, but I've got better ideas...)

Anyway, keep at it!
    Jack.
  • jmcgannjmcgann Boston MA USANew
    I've been working on writing things out using harmonic ideas that might not be accessable to me on the fly...I think it's good to compose solos using new material to help break out of routines.
    www.johnmcgann.com

I've never heard Django play a note without commitment.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Try transcribing a solo you love.
    Sometimes just learning a new phrase or lick really helps too.
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    I feel when in a rut it is important to keep yourself inspired-- Watch a local good jazz musician/ band live, pop in a good gypsy jazz concert and watch the masters, check out all the tons of great and various gypsy jazz player clips on youtube or google video, purchase a new g-jazz text and learn new things (most texts always have a whole new avenue of thought to go through).

When I get bored playing with technical mumbo jumbo and can't stand another practice session by myself with a metromone I route myself to one of the following:

a) Play with recordings. Django, Lagrene, Fapy, Tchavolo, Romane, etc. If you have the chords you can back up the masters and listen to the rhythm players to get used to the various personal styles of various gypsy rhythm masters. You could also solo with the recording for practice and/or (if your ears are good) rip a lyrical motif here and there to work into your own style.

b) play with others. It is always inspiring to work with other good musicians and go home knowing what it is you need to continue working on. Every musical gig or time I play with someone is always a learning great experience for me to see what I need to work on personally in my craft and better myself.

c) take a stretch break and get back to practicing