DjangoBooks.com

Best strings?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering which strings sound best for a Gitane DG-255?

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    You can't go grong with Savarez Argentines.
    Most people like 10's but if your action isn't very high maybe 11's would be better.
    I have a DG-250 and I use 10's with high action (4mm+) but often replace the High E and B with a 11 and a 14.
    Good luck!!
  • manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    You might try a set of every brand and you could be surprised to find Newtones are really excellent! The Dell Arte strings are probably the worst.

Robert
    So far I've only used Argie 11s on my D500. The G-strings tend to wear out two- or three-times as quickly as the others in the set--so I stock up on extra Gs.
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Yes, Argentine 0.10's are the most popular. Try them first. If you like the sound and feel, order extra G strings because they last about half as long as the rest of the set - at least for me. They are the benchmark.

Because I like to change my sound from time to time, I also use Newtone nickel Gypsy strings. I wear out the Newtone G strings as well. Oddly, the Argentine spare G strings work well with these, too.

Lately, I'm partial to the new D'Addario 0.10's.All are available from this site.
    What about regular guitar strings? Would those work? What sets gypsy strings apart?
  • badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL
    sometimes people use silk & steel strings, but I would say don't even waste your time with regular strings. They neither sound nor feel right on a GJ guitar. The GJ strings have a lighter tension, and are closer to silk & steel strings than anything, but even those aren't really the same. Just try the Argies before messing with anything else.
  • DjazzerDjazzer New
    At present using D`addario gypsy jazz 10s there supposed to last twice as
    long as the other brands due to the strings having a protective coating,pleased with the tone of these strings bright sounding, argies tend to lose there brightness after a short time also had problems with the G fraying and several times lose windings on the A string and loop windings becoming loose reluctant to use them again. :x
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    I've been using the Newtone Gitanes now for quite a while and they sound better on my guitar than the Argnetines. They last a lot longer and keep a nice edge. What i really appreciate is how good they sound when they're trashed. I recently had to play a concert and intended to change my strings first. It didn't happen and they still sounded fine. Mellow when I had to lay back and then right out front for playing a solo. YMMV.
    Ken Bloom