DjangoBooks.com

Germany's role in gypsy jazz

Matt MitchellMatt Mitchell ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Welcome Posts: 44
zz

Comments

• djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    edited July 2007 Posts: 249
    Germany's nasty stint in the early 20th century may have stunted the country's growth in jazz. I've seen some rather nasty anti-jazz Nazi propaganda posters. I do remember reading somewhere that jazz was not explicitly banned by the Nazis because it was popular, but was allowed in a state-sanctioned toned-down format. Perhaps that's even worse than banning it.

Still, I'd be interested in knowing more about the state of GJ in Germany today, as I have married into a German family and go there occasionally.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Well... Wawau Adler is German, I believe.
    Joscho Stefan is german too but he's a gadjo, i.e not gypsy.
    And there must be some Jazz manouche going on at the french border around Alsace, but I couldn't tell you exactly where.
    There's also a gypsy jazz guitar store in germany check it out: www.gypsyguitar.de

Cheers!!
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Germany has a really rich gypsy jazz hiostory. Not so much under the Nazi's but in the 60's and 70's. Check out the MDZ series (Musik Duetscher Ziguener) guys like Schnucknack Reinhardt and Hansche Weiss. Titi Winterstein is German as well. There is a whole german "school" like the dutch or Parisian.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.