DjangoBooks.com

Black Sabbath influenced by Django!

gypsyjazzergypsyjazzer Brewood, United KingdomNew
edited March 2008 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 67
I saw this piece in this month's edition of the UK guitar magazine "Guitar Buyer", on the influence of Django on Black Sabbath's guitarist Tony Iommi.

It describes how Django acted both as an inspiration following Iommi's accident at work, and influenced the development of his improvisational style.

I've never met him, but a gypsy jazz playing friend of mine who lives in Birmingham knows Tony, although he's never mentioned the Django influence before.

Stu

Comments

• aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    i think you can hear a lot more of django in van halen's playing.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
    Wow!

The first time I ever read about Django was in a interview with Peter Frampton!
  • jmcgannjmcgann Boston MA USANew
    edited July 2007 Posts: 134
    Frampton, Steve Howe...the English rock guys of the 70's mentioned Django quite a bit, which is what led me to seek out his recordings- my first was the budget reissue (GNP Crescendo) of the '38 stuff with Honeysuckle Rose, etc. and I was instantly hooked...

...discovered Charlie Christian, Tal Farlow and Wes from following the Rock Guitar Trail as well!
    www.johnmcgann.com

I've never heard Django play a note without commitment.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    the Django-Iommi story is pretty well known and has been around for a while. It's been mentinoed in every mini-bio of Iommi's I've ever read, and I've also come across it in a number of Django bios.
  • EmmettRayEmmettRay Honolulu, Hawaii✭✭✭✭ Koa Iseman, AJL XO-503, Holo Busato
    It was through Tony Iommi that I 1st heard of Django. He mentioned him in an early 90s Guitar World issue...

the influence isn't in the music as it was in finding the courage to continue playing after suffering injury to his finger tips! (Iommi lost 2 fingertips at age 18 in a factory accident)