DjangoBooks.com

Schertler Bluestick Pickups

Comments

• WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Hi Michael,

Can you recommend which bluestick is good for an oval hole guitar?

Is the bluestick simply a long and slim version of the DYN-G schertler pickup or is there a major difference in sound?

Thanks for your time,
    Alex
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    WowBobWow wrote:
    Hi Michael,

Can you recommend which bluestick is good for an oval hole guitar?

Alex,
    BLUESTiCK STANDARD features such as a patented active transducer that places the miniaturized equivalent of a studio-grade condenser microphone under the guitar's saddle

As I undestand the text above, the Bluestick is for guitars with glued-on bridges like regular flat-tops and nylon-stringed instruments. Unless you have a mountable bone in your oval-hole's bridge (very rare construction, never seen one I like), then Bluestick probably wouldn't be your choice for amplification.
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    I believe they can be mounted INSIDE the Sel Mac bridge in the same way the BigTones are built. The bridge is sawed in half, routed to fit, pick up inserted, then glued back together...
    They are pricey, however they're a miniature electrostatic condenser transducer, where as the BigTones are piezo ceramic.
    I personally think they might be the next best thing, (in place of a microphone through a GOOD house sound system), to have more volume, less feedback, and capture the mid range that we don't see in BigTones.
    I may purchase one!
    A sound review of one mounted In a SelMac would be helpful, however the spec's look good.
    A.K.
    I don't think Michael would sell these pickups without them being applicable to Gypsy Jazz SelMac guitars...
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Read reviews here...
    http://www.schertlerusa.com/bluestick.htm
    If they can be used mounted inside a bridge then would other under the saddle pick-ups work also?
    http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    We have yet to actually mount a bluestick in a Selmer type guitar. John Jorgenson had one mounted in his Gitane and spoke highly of it:

<**** class="tdInfoIcona">

afficheVignette("../../images/prodotti/Pickups/6_for_guitar/FotoB-JJ_icona.jpg","../../images/prodotti/Pickups/6_for_guitar/FotoB-JJ.jpg");
    </****>
    <**** class="tdInfo">"
    …I USE BOTH SCHERTLER GUITAR TRANSDUCERS, BLUESTiCK AND DYN-G, TOGETHER
    WITH THEIR UNICO ACOUSTIC AMP. THIS COMBINATION OFFERS ME THE MOST
    INSPIRING AND NATURAL AMPLIFIED ACOUSTIC SOUND I HAVE EVER HAD ONSTAGE…"

JOHN JORGENSON – ACCLAIMED GYPSY JAZZ GUITARIST, HELLECASTERS, DESERT
    ROSE BAND, ELTON JOHN AND NASHVILLE SESSION GUIITARIST</****>

However, the inside sccop from the Schertler guys is that the bluestick isn't really all that effective with Selmer type bridges. At some point we're going to have to do some experimenting and see if Josh can install one of these and make it work. But right now, I can't recommend it for Selmers. I have some flatop customers who were asking for these so I added them to the shop.
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time &amp; SpaceNew
    Thanks for the replies, no bluestick for me. I'll definitely keeping saving up my dough for strings then. Best,