DjangoBooks.com

New guitars vs. vintage

mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
A question - do any of the new GJ-style guitars come close to the vintage pieces? I've played 2 original Selmers, and none of the Dell'Artes. Manouches, Gitanes, Dunns, Parks, etc. that I've played capture that depth and growl I've heard in the vintage pieces.

In flattops, I've heard some builders come pretty close tovintage Martins. So I'm wondering if anyone has found any modern guitars they feel go the extra mile in replicating the vintage tone.

And speaking of vintage, what are people's thoughts about buying vintage guitars (non-Selmer) versuse a new instrument? Worth the added money? Will they hold their value?

Comments

• KoratKorat NetherlandsNew
    I have a Spanish built Manuel Rodriques petite bouche. Haven't played an original myself, but people who did told me mine comes very close.
    Mind you, I can't confirm this from own experience.

I find the problem with vintage guitars you're never really sure how original they are. What was replaced or repaired and what not. Frets and fretboards are commom replacements, but as for the rest? You'd have to be a real expert to tell and delve deep into the technique.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.