DjangoBooks.com

magnetic soundhole pick-ups ?

I have a Schatten in my D-500, and I'm pretty happy with, but would like to had another sound source to add versatility.
I'm not particularly looking after the "true" gypsy sound, whatever it could be. I only want something *inside* the guitar, it's more practical.

It will not be a condenser mike, there is no way to make that sound good inside a guitar.

But magnetic soundhole pick-ups, like Baggs M-1, Fishman Rare Earth, etc... does any of you have experience with them ?
(of course for a D-hole only. I don't know of any magnetic pick-up that could fit an oval hole)
Since they are designed for flat-top guitars, any trick to fix those in a D-hole ?

Regards
Jean-Paul Bataille

Comments

• jpbatjpbat MontrealNew
    Someone (frater) mentionned in a march 07 thread that he managed to fit a Rare Earth Fishman in a D-500.
    I would be interessed to know how...
    Velcro? double-sided tape?
    I'm wondering...
    Jean-Paul
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    JP,
    I would assume that a magnetic pickup placed in the sound hole would require the use of nickel or chrome strings to achieve a balanced sound.
    Gypsy jazz strings are normally silver plated, hence not as conductive...

I have modified a DG255 with a Humbucker and a BigTone with new mustache ends. Removed original finish (Yuk!) and spayed a Nitro Cellulose Lacquer finish on it... New Schaller tuners and tail piece... Dell'Arte logo in and out, used by permission from ****.
    I call it the Franken-Selmer! Matt, our lead player, has been giging with it for month until his new guitar arrives...

I have used Newtone nickel GJ strings, however they just don't last long.
    Silvers are only adequate when using the humbucker...
    It, as well as an Anouman will be up for sale soon.

I just don't need four guitars and I'm looking to fund more sound reinforcement gear...

The Anouman was ****'s personal guitar for years when I bought it from him. After a year or two he re-topped the guitar with Hommage bracing and added a thicker fingerboard. This guitar is loud, bright and has a Fishman blender mounted in the side. Sounds great through any amp or DI with no feed back issues if tweeked properly!
    Just may be the thing your looking for!

Photo's of the DG255 Mod here...
    http://community.webshots.com/user/Calienteflaco
    Photo of the Anouman here...
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560348763bORLia

(I have trouble adding attachments from my Mac) ? / Help?

Anyone interested in either of these guitars, pm me and I'll give you the details...
    Got to go!

A.K.
  • jpbatjpbat MontrealNew
    A.K.,

there will not be problem with the strings : the Baggs or the Fishman are designed for bronze strings (phosphore or 80/20) and, ahem... I use phosphore-bronze on my Gitane. Heavy gauge. One tone lower standard pitch. Works for me. But then, I don't play gypsy jazz. Sorry.

I'm simply looking for some experience with magnetic soundhole pick-ups designed for flat-top, Baggs or Fishman category, fitted on D-hole SelMac.
    I don't want pick-ups designed for electric sound (Stimer or anything else).

Jean-Paul Bataille
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    I managed to fit a Fishman Rare Earth in my D500. My approach was unorthodox to say the least. I took a popcicle stick, colored it black with a Sharpie, cut it in half and glued the pieces inside the guitar just in front of the brace at the bottom of the sound hole. These two pieces act as tabs to which you secure the pick up. It works great and you can't really see the tabs ( that's why I colored them black). The down side? In my opinion, the Rare Earth sounds like complete shite! Kinda buzzy too. Just my dos centavos
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • jpbatjpbat MontrealNew
    Thanks for the popsicle trick. I was thinking sticky velcro on the brace.

Now : "sounds like complete shite", do you mean it doesn't give a good gypsy sound ? or what ? at what distance was it from the strings ? what kind of strings ?

"Kinda buzzy too" : can you elaborate ? a hum or something else ? was it the single coil or the humbucker model ?

Jean-Paul Bataille