DjangoBooks.com

Custom Bridge challenge

Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
Last night I made a bridge that I just have to post about.

I have a friend that has a Dunn. Nice guitar but the low end is so over powering that is makes it hard to play with others. The gypsy sound was not there on the lower half of the tonal range. Knowing that I mess around with setup and bridges he asked me to see if I could make a bridge that might fix or at least help the problem. So I took on the project. So last night I took the Dunn into the shop and pulled the bridge off only to find that the Dunn bridges are the most crazy design. Any of you that have a Dunn or that have looked at know this. I guess it falls right in to Dunn's guitars. They are just different. Now don't get me wrong I like Dunn guitars so don't think I'm bashing here. Back to the story... The Dunn bridge is supper short and supper tall. My friend wanted a more traditional looking Selmer style bridge installed. So I pull out my Selmer plans and go to town. Now the main area where the Dunn bridge differs is that it is solid. A true Selmer style bridge is carved out. Hollow.. sort of. This lightens up the tone that is transferred to the top plate. So Basically what I built for the Dunn was a short, tall selmer bridge. And it did just what it was supposed to do. The guitar sounds much more like a gypsy guitar then it did before. The bridge took me three times longer to make then normal but the experience was way worth it! So if any of you out there have a Dunn and want a supper custom bridge job I'm your man!

Cheers