DjangoBooks.com

picking with tremolo

aRealGypsyaRealGypsy Clackamas Oregon✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 24
Hey, this is my first post im new here although ive been listening to gypsy jazz for all my life, because i myself am a real life gypsy.. in fact my great grandfather knew Django reinhart although django was "Roma undi Tema" which means gypsies from overseas.. well a little intro into my playing style.. most "Roma" or gypsies here in the states dont play gypsy jazz excatly the way you here example.. they dont go around playing "ill see you in my dreams" rather they play the "romano Bosso" or other romani type music now a day gypsy's rarely play gypsy jazz.. but rather a new breed. but anyways here my question ive been born into this type of music and ive learned alot from just watching and listening to other roma, but ive developed this "habit" so i say, which is when i do some speed picking i tremolo through the strings to get that fast sound.. now i dont know if thats unorthadox or what because basicly that topic hasnt been discussed anywhere.. so my question is..

is speed picking a sort of tremolo ? is it alternate picking with rest strokes and all that other traditional stye.. anyway like ive said ive been brought up into this music, ive played it all my life without lessons or any musical knowledge other then what i feel and know.. so thanks to anyone who replys here.. :)

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi...I'd have to see or hear what you're talking about. I don't think there is any definition for speed picking, other then picking fast in some sort of way. So you can call whatever you're doing speed picking if you want.

thanks,

-Michael
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    aRealGypsy wrote:
    is speed picking a sort of tremolo ? is it alternate picking with rest strokes and all that other traditional stye.. anyway like ive said ive been brought up into this music, ive played it all my life without lessons or any musical knowledge other then what i feel and know.. so thanks to anyone who replys here.. :)

When I work up the speed of my tremolo it makes my general picking faster (not including switching to lower strings). I'm curious whether you use downstrokes when switching to lower strings in descending passages or whether you just play tremolo strokes throughout, regardless of string changes.
  • aRealGypsyaRealGypsy Clackamas Oregon✭✭✭
    well i believe im just sort of tremolo'ing through the strings, it just feels like its the way to do it.. i mean if you think about it.. alternate picking at a very qucik speed is basicly tremolo? maybe a little research if someone can find out? i havent read michaels book but i would like to know everyone elses techniques maybe even a video?