DjangoBooks.com

Difference between CG-15 and DG-500

I'm interested in knowing what the difference is between the new Cigano CG-15 and the Gitane DG-500. Anything other than the matte finish and the wood?

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Thinner neck, greater neck angle and greater top arch.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I've only played one, so assuming they are all alike, the CG-10 definitely has a steeper neck angle exactly like a Shelley Park. The D-hole CG-15 has a low profile neck angle, just like a Gitane DG-255,DG-300, or a Gitane D-500...

Personally, I think the Cigano CG-15 and the Gitane D-500 feel exactly the same. The Cigano weighs a few ounces less I think, probably because the type of laminate might be different...

I cant comment on the neck, but the Cigano top arch is definitely more prominent, especially on the CG-10. Its so prominant that I stared at it in awe wondering how they do it in a factory...
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Personally, I think the Cigano [GJ]-15 and the Gitane D-500 feel exactly the same.

Yeah, me too. I haven't compared them side-by side, but I don't think the neck angle, thickness or the arch of the top are any different. I do think the neck on the GJ-15 might be very slightly narrower but I'd have to compare side-by-side.

Best wishes,

John
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I've played John's Cigano and I have a D-500. We didn't actually compare them at out jam session, but my impression is that the Cigano neck is noticably narrower than the D-500. I can't say by how much. We aren't getting together this weekend, but maybe next time we can put them side-by-side for you.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • TollundmandenTollundmanden DenmarkNew
    Thank you for all your replies.
    When you talk about the neck being narrower, do you mean that the fretboard width is smaller or that the neck is thinner (fretboard to back of neck)?
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I may be wrong about this, as I only played John's Cigano once, but my impression was that the fingerboard was narrower than a traditional 12-fret D-hole. The neck, on the other hand, was actually a nice rounded C-shape, with more depth than a D-500. It was a very nice sounding guitar for the money. Maybe not as traditional sounding as my Manouche Orchestre, but a good sound nonetheless.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.