DjangoBooks.com

one of my favorite guitar players!!

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited October 2007 in Welcome Posts: 2,159
boba demeter, not does he improvise really well but he also plays a bunch of old school django solos, and the way he plays them is what makes him stand out from other django copiers...

check this out:

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i forgot to mention that he has a very light touch like mozes rosenberg, proof that u dont need to be a raging lumberjack to play this music...
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Bravo! He's amazing!

I usually don't like seeing django solos live but his fingerings and tasteful expression makes everything seem fresh. It's fun to see the classical guitar in action, too

Thanks for sharing the video
    to me, he's probably my favorite of the "old style" players... he also has this rhythm thing that he does, to this day i haven't been able to figure it out, he tried showing it to me last summer, but it was too crowded, i'll have to ask him again next year... he's the only one i've seen do it, and i don't know how to describe but it is so impressive
    dennis wrote:
    i forgot to mention that he has a very light touch like mozes rosenberg, proof that u dont need to be a raging lumberjack to play this music...

Isn't that a nylon-string he's playing? If so, wouldn't that contribute to the light touch?

BTW, I think nylon-string in GJ is very cool and under-utilized. 8)
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    the guy who taught me to play, one of Wrembels x-rhythm players, played in my band for a whole year with a $50 nylon string classical guitar and a schertler. it worked fine.

by your definition of "light touch", everyone in portland is lighter than Boba
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Who was that, Jon? I knew Wrembel was thinking of moving to Portland at one time but I didn't know any of his old bandmates lived here.

BTW: You certainly already know this, but Jason now plays GJ on his classical. It's problematic to get him right in the mix, but when he's amplified well it sounds great - like at Mississippi Studios - that was a great gig and I'm looking forward to the album.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    dennis wrote:
    he also has this rhythm thing that he does... he's the only one i've seen do it, and i don't know how to describe but it is so impressive

Is it something he does mid-song, or is it an intro/outro kind of thing?

By the way, there's some more video here.

best,
    Jack.
    it's a rhythm effect that he does. but he has tons of them... he's from the demeter family (russian gypsy origins), and he plays a lot of those eastern european gypsy songs so well, and it's so unique the he does them.. if u guys though angelo debarre s gypsy stuff was awesome, u haven't seen anything like boba...

damn it!!! next time i head to france, i'm gonna get him to show me all those things, i've never seen anyone else do it