DjangoBooks.com

Gitane or Music Link Dell Arte

In the search for my first gypsy jazz guitar, which I will be using mainly for rhythm playing, I have the choice of either an Asian made Dell Arte Homage or the ubiquitous Gitane D500.
I will not be able to try either guitar before I buy, so I'm looking for opinions on tone, playability and build quality.
I don't have the largest hands in the world, so fretboard wideness could be an issue.
I tried a friend's Gitane D500 and the thickness of the neck was very nice, how does the Dell Arte compare to this.

From what I gather the Dell Arte Homage is sized a bit larger than usual Selmacs style guitars. Will it be a problem finding a case that fits?

Comments

• FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    I have a Dupont MC50 that I'm thinking of selling. It is based on the Selmer Model Orchestra, and is generally considered one of the best and most authentic sounding gypsy guitars for rhythm. It's a 12 fret D-hole, two years old in excellant condition, with a new bridge made and installed by Josh , at DjangoBooks. It has the original Dupont case, and new Argie strings. Your profile doesn't show where you live, but I'm in Northern California. I want $3000 for it, ...they are $3500 new.....on the rare times when one is available.
    -fopa
  • TollundmandenTollundmanden DenmarkNew
    I live in Denmark. The shipping plus customs charges would put this in the $4000 range, which is 4 to 5 times my budget. Thanks for the offer though.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    From what I gather the Dell Arte Homage is sized a bit larger than usual Selmacs style guitars. Will it be a problem finding a case that fits?

I think the bigger problem will be finding the guitar! They've been on order in the States for almost a full year...are they available in Denmark already?

The neck on the Hommage should be smaller than most D-500s. In fact, I'm surprised you mention liking the D-500 neck, as most people with smaller hands seem to think it's too big, wide, and classical-like. If you like the neck on the Dell'Arte I think that would be a better option; a friend of mine has one of the prototypes from the Music Link series and it sounds better than most of the Gitanes I've heard.

best,
    Jack.
    If I could take some width off the neck of the D500 it would be perfect.
    I like the thickness (back of neck) compared to the 255's I've played, they almost feel like some of the metal guitar's of the 80's.

I found an online dealer who lists the Hommage along with the other 3 Music Link Dell' Artes but they have yet to answer my mails about them being in stock.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Which site are you looking at? The last info I had (from ****) was that a first shipment of a few dozen was coming to the states in a month or so...not sure about overseas, though.

best,
    Jack.
    They are listed at guitar24.de and martinsmusikkiste.de.

guitar24 has not replied yet but I just recieved a mail from martinsmusikkiste.de saying that it is not clear when they will be available in Germany.

I guess I'll have to go for the D-500 unless I'm willing to wait for an indefinite amount of time.