DjangoBooks.com

2-fingered scales

aa New York City✭✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 800
how wonderful it can be to work within limits.
i can now articulate my musical thoughts more coherently when i play with only my index and middle fingers. found this out when i figured out the minor swing solo using two fingers. for some reason, it's easier to focus. it also makes rest-strokes easier to play, and in a way, forces you to relax. sort of disarming... makes it easier for the non-intellectual stuff to come through.
anyway, i was wondering how django played 8 note scales.
did he play them horizontally (like 4 notes per string)? i'm sure he used a lot of the open strings, but (how)did he play scales outside of first-fifth positions?
Www.alexsimonmusic.com
Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Well, first of all he didn't play that many straight scalar runs. Usually there were leaps or chromatic notes in there. And it seems that when he was doing straight scales it tended to be more in the open position. I can't think of any good examples of closed position scalar lines, but he did so some. I think he just used a lot of slides, stretches and position shifts. Personally, I think scales are one aspect of Gypsy jazz that is not worth obsessing over the 2 finger thing. Fapy, Angelo and lots of other Gypsies use four fingers for scales. I find the two finger technique more usefull for chromatic licks, arpeggios, and chords.

Good luck!

'm