DjangoBooks.com

Django Reinhardt Festival Philly

HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
edited November 2007 in North America Posts: 147
Hey folks,

I wanted to post a quick review of last night's Gypsy Jazz show at the Kimmel Center in Philly.
The usual suspects, Dorado, Sampson, Florin, Ludovic and Brian Torff were joined by Kruno. They played the opener for John Pizzarelli.
Dorado and his posse were great as always. The show started with Dorado, Sampson and Brian playing "I'll see you in My Dreams,"
which of course kicked butt and took names!
It really meant a lot to me to see a major Gypsy Jazz show in my hometown, [the 1st one in Philly, really]. Hearing Dorado quoting Django's solo, from the chord melody intro on was like seeing an old friend many years later. Django, remembered - Django evoked.
The nearly sold out house loved it!
[The Djangofest that Dan Kinter and I did in Sellersville PA , was a few years ago. I'd like to think that we helped the whole scene here in some small way. Sometimes you just gotta' plant seeds, and pray that they'll take root and grow.]
The whole show was brilliant as the Brits say. [So was Dorado's white Travolta suit!] Florin was just unbelievable,
a stand-out in a crowd of stand-outs. Kruno "represented" Philly quite well. ] Note to Brian Torff, next time you mention the wonderful proliferation of Hot Club groups, and you're in Philadelphia, maybe you'll mention HC Philly! ;-)
Anyhow, the crew will be on the left coast for a few dates, then will be
in NYC for the Birdland festival, Nov 6-11. Manouche guitars will be sponsoring the concerts. I'll be at all of the shows with one of the owners of the company, [and I will have guitars]. BTW, as you all probably know, these guitars are in short supply. If you are interested in ordering one
contact me thru here, or go to www.hotclubphilly.com
Gotta' run.
Latcho Drom-ski
B