DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

DjangoDisciple mrguitar

Manouche jazz model review

I recently bought a manouche jazz model oval hole from Robert at manouche guitars in new mexico. He asked me to write a review on the guitar and I have agreed to do so.

I've had the guitar for a little over a month now and can say that I'm quite pleased with it. I think its a very responsive and fun guitar to play. I should mention that although I have been playing guitar for about 16 years I only started learning gypsy jazz about six months ago and my experience with these types of guitars is fairly limited. I have played a manouche orchestre (12 fret D hole model) a few dell artes in the 2,000-3,000 range and a D-500 which I have since realized had the wrong type of strings on it.

The manouche oval hole projects very well and is louder than the other gypsy guitars I have played. The intonation is solid up the neck and the instrument remains in tune for long periods of time. When compared to the orchestre model, I would say that the jazz has a somewhat colder,harsher tone but I saw this as a positve quality for this style of music. As I've continued to play the guitar I'm finding that the tone is improving and warming just a bit. I'm not sure if that's because the instrument is opening up or because my playing is improving. I also chose the jazz model over the orchestre because I found the neck and 14 frets free of the body to be more comfortable.

When I got this guitar i was also considering the Gitane 300 model. Ultimately I went with the manouche because I was able to play it before buying it and I thought it rocked. It would be interesting to compare this guitar both with a fixed up gitane and a luthier made guitar at some point. I should also mention that Robert at manouche guitars seems very dedicated to providing good service and I got the strong impression that if there was a problem with the guitar he would find a way to fix it.

If anyone has any more questions about the guitar let me know. When I was I was looking into which guitar to get I got some helpful advice from Michael Bauer( Hope I spelled your name correctly) but there wasn't a ton of information out there about Manouche guitars.