DjangoBooks.com

DG-250 (Review, question, pics & audio clip)

num3ricnum3ric Montreal, Quebec, CanadaNew
Hi,
I recently bought a Saga Gitane DG-250 from a local shop here in Montreal, and I'm VERY pleased with it. It's my first gypsy guitar, therefore I'm not an expert, but I know it's great quality for the $$$.

When I first brought it home, I was astounded to hear its resonance and volume potential. It also stays in tune pretty well.

My only complaint would be that the action is quite high. I adjusted the neck relief, which did help. But still, it seems that the bridge is a bit too high for my taste. And this is where my question follows: Is it normal that my bridge is glued to the top? Are all the DG-250 made like that? Because if it's glued on, there's not much I can do about the action, not even try to change it, or sand it at the base... Now, the action isn't that tremendously high. It's at about *wrong measurement, see below*, which is still very playable. (Does this seem like a normal action?)

Anyway, other than that small detail, I really enjoy this guitar and would recommend it to anyone looking for something in that price range.

The pics:
DG-250001.jpg
DG-250002.jpg
Look at that wood!
DG-250003.jpg

The action (it appears lower here than it actually is):
DG-250005.jpg

As for the sound-clip, I did a short cover of Andreas' version of Bei Dir War Es Immer So Schön. (By the way, you wouldn't believe how cheap my computer mic is ha ha!)

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Eric, your mom makes great christmas cookies, if she makes more, maybe i'll give you an extra bridge that i dont use
  • num3ricnum3ric Montreal, Quebec, CanadaNew
    HA HA HA! I know, these are definitely the "Selmer" of cookies.
    Although, they're more like candies than cookies.............................

Thanks D, now I lost ALL my credibility. :lol:
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Congratulations on getting your first gypsy style guitar. First, let me state that I have no connection with any musical instrument company, or distributor.
    I own a Gitane DG-300 John Jorgenson model, and I too am very pleased with it. I have played several luthier-made instruments and can appreciate them, but I love my Gitane. It suits my abilities and budget.

The Gitanes, and other gypsy style guitars, have a central bridge which is held in place by downward string pressure. The mustashes are on either side of the bridge to keep it in place. They are glued in place. After completely slackening the strings you can pull the bridge out, toward the oval sound hole, if you so choose.

Most references to string height are made in relation to the distance from the crown of the 12th fret to the bottom of the bass E string. A height of 3.5 to 4 mm would not be uncommon. A Wegen 3.5 gypsy pick can be used as a string height gauge by sliding it on top of the 12th fret.Try playing the guitar a while before making alterations, unless the string height is higher than 3.5 to 4 mm.

Nice photos of the guitar, by the way.
    Ok, first of all, my initial string height mesure wasn't correct. To be precise, I have 2,75 mm from the TOP of 12th fret to the bottom of the string (as you described), so apparently, I'm really whining for nothing. Although initially, without my truss rod adjustment it is was higher.

Well, at least I'm happy to know my situation is normal, it's only a matter of getting used to it. It'll strengthen my left hand he he. :roll:

Thanks for the info!
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Yes, your action is fine at 2.75 and there shouldn't be much relief in the neck.

I'm hoping you only thought your bridge was glued down... it shouldn't be.

Something else you may want to try (if you haven't already) is the strings that are made for these instruments. If you're playing Phosphor bronze 12's... no wonder the 2.75mm feels high to you. Try Savarez Argentine 11's. That should help the stiffness (if your action is stiff)... and you can even go to 10's if you want.

Sounds good - welcome!
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Yes I've though about doing this, changing my string gauge. I'll try different ones over time and choose the one I prefer.

Update on my bridge:

We've checked it today with Dennis, AND IT'S REALLY GLUED DOWN! I'm wondering if all the DG-250 are like that? Although my intonation seems fine, I don't have the possibility to adjust it.

I've asked another guitarist here, and he told me to use a screwdriver to pull it off haa ha! I'm certainly not willing to try that...
  • waldenjazzwaldenjazz Thoreau, NMNew
    Hi there, I've had several Gitanes and fortunately none of the bridges were glued down since they all needed new bridges, the factory ones were crap. I've only seen glued down bridged on the very lowest end gypsy guitars, I saw some last year at NAMM with a dealer cost of about $60.00. I told the company they shouldn't glue the bridges down... I work on guitars and I wouldn't recommend the screwdriver.. you can easily damage the finish andin some cases lift the wood under the bridge... take it to a competent repair person and have them soften the glue, then remove it. I had a 250 and they are nice guitars for the money but need to be upgraded... new tuners, bridge and tailpiece helps.

Rob
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    The bridge on my DG250 it's not glued down... have an expert fix that up.

I think it's a very good guitar and more than enough to get going on this style.
    I've had mine for over two years, played it everyday and enjoyed it a lot... still do.

I would replace the bridge with a better one once you decided on the action you like with that guitar, I have mine a little over 3mm on the low E at the 12th fret, and the new bridge (rosewood) really made it sound better.
    The stock bridge is not great but works.
    BTW don't mess with the trussrod it shouldn't be used to set your action only the relief on your neck.

IMO the tuners and tailpiece are alright... you can easily replace the plastic insert with a wooden one and the tuners do their job and can get the guitar perfectly in tune.
    DR tuners are nice to look at but $300!! Your call...

Congrats on your new guitar!!